Hyde Road Stadium

At the speedway stadium you mean?
Quite a few on here, me included, would have gone from Maine Road on a Saturday afternoon to see the Aces that evening.
But I wonder how many (or their dads) were also fans of the old Belle Vue Rangers rugby league team. Disappeared mid-50s, I think.

Pretty sure Chester was the surname of the brewing family who brewed ale near the stadium and were connected with the club at the time. Famous locally for their 'fighting mild' .
Just copied this bit from a Google search of Chesters.
I'd forgotten that Ardwick's original nickname was The Brewerymen

Around the time of Ardwick AFC, the brewery was run by Stephen Chesters-Thompson

"The original Chesters Brewery in Ardwick was close to Manchester City Football Club, the brewer part-owning the Hyde Road stadium. Hyde Road's first seating area was paid for in part by Chesters in 1888, who funded 1,000 seats in return for being the sole distributor of alcohol in the stadium. Such was the close link between club and brewers, A.F.C. Ardwick (later to become MCFC) were nicknamed 'The Brewerymen'."

Last edited:
Best thread on the Bluemoon Forum page in ages!
I would love the club to commission somebody to recreate a 3d model of Hyde Road and put it on display. Either that or do it on the computer and even recreate some old matches using cgi technology or A1 or whatever it’s called. Do the same for Maine Road too. Our history is brilliant and bringing it back to life in this manner is a great way for everyone to engage with it.
Was thinking you'd need more photographs to be able to accurately (as possible) recreate the ground... but wouldn't planning permission have been needed when the ground was built... and therefore plans submitted – if so, would they be held in the records (hopefully not destroyed in the war)?

This is the road running down to the train line. The road and lines are still in the same position so the ground would have been on the right here.

Yep that's correct... where the long building is was a stand - the 'kids' stand would have been to the right on that photo.

Best thread on the Bluemoon Forum page in ages!
I would love the club to commission somebody to recreate a 3d model of Hyde Road and put it on display. Either that or do it on the computer and even recreate some old matches using cgi technology or A1 or whatever it’s called. Do the same for Maine Road too. Our history is brilliant and bringing it back to life in this manner is a great way for everyone to engage with it.
Absolutely mate, good shout

Yep that's correct... where the long building is was a stand - the 'kids' stand would have been to the right on that photo.
If you look at the ground its old cobbles. I wonder if they have been there ever since. Although from the look of the maps the corner of the pitch is very close to the road. So maybe not.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.