Hyde Road Stadium

What became the dog track was also a site looked at by City. In fact I’m convinced that was the preference for years.

I appreciate that this might well have been dealt with in more detail in some of the historical City literature, most prominently your own. However, my collection of City books resides at my mum's place while I'm abroad so I'm limited in terms of access to material about this.

Anyway, I've long wondered about this, in fact since I saw someone post on Twitter (I think) some years back a scan of a newspaper report from 1913 about City supposedly planning a move to Belle Vue. But the story referenced Mount Road and not Kirkmanshulme Lane, which was always the official address of the dog track, so I thought it was probably a different site.

Looking now at Google Maps, I see that the dog track nestles between Mount Road and Kirkmanshulme Lane. Based on what you say, I assume it actually is that site. I remember that we had a previous exchange about why they eventually disregarded this option, which I've not managed to find searching back through my posts on here (maybe it was on Twitter). I seem to recall you suggested that the maximum capacity would have been around 70K, and the club wanted more.

It always struck me that, while many Blues today regard Maine Road as a spiritual home, it must have been a hell of a shock for fans in the early 1920s to find we were uprooting to move to Moss Side. If there'd been a forum back then that allowed for such an easy exchange of views as this one does now, I bet it would have been inundated with postings of absolute disgust!

Hi Gary can I ask how many books have you written, and are they all still available for purchase.
Here‘s a list:

Most are out of print now but you can still pick them up secondhand. Two books (Manchester A Football History and my first book From Maine Men To Banana Citizens), plus lots of my other writing is now available to subscribers to my website. Monthly subscription is £3 per month (cancel anytime, so you could subscribe, get what you need then cancel but I guess I shouldn’t say that!) or you can pay £20 a year.

There are history talks (I’m doing one online tonight re 2005-2009 for free), interviews (audio and written) plus other stuff.

Details of tonight’s talk:

You can see what you think too by watching an earlier talk on Maine Rd and fans here:

I hope this all helps. Cheers

Actually, if I can butt in here, The City Years is indicated on Amazon as being out of print. Any plans for a reprint? (I can get a second-hand copy but I just like my books to be new…oh, and I don't do Kindle).
Sorry. I can’t find a publisher willing to take a gamble on it. It’s an expensive book to produce and I funded it myself last time to ensure I could get it out there.I’d love to update it.

My Peter Barnes biography was funded by me as well and bookshops simply won’t take it, claiming a City/Utd player from all those years ago wouldn’t sell! Not yet broken even on that, so financially these things are a gamble.

Was thinking you'd need more photographs to be able to accurately (as possible) recreate the ground... but wouldn't planning permission have been needed when the ground was built... and therefore plans submitted – if so, would they be held in the records (hopefully not destroyed in the war)?
I have photos of every stand at Hyde Rd and have recently helped an artist who is painting the venue. When I get chance I’ll post something significant on my website about the place or maybe my next free online history talk (after I’ve done tonight’s of course) should be about it? I could show images, tell it’s full story, use stuff I’ve got from interviews I did years ago with fans who attended the old place?

At one point they considered turning the pitch 45 degrees and claimed they could build an 80,000 capacity stadium there. The well regarded ground architect Archibald Leitch (who designed OT and those double deckers at Goodison, Roker Park, Hampden etc.) was given an office at the ground to design the new version.

Some photos of The Hyde Road Hotel.
Can't believe I can't find one of The City Gates.
The 2nd picture must have been after 1967 as it has the Whitbread sign.
The City Gates opened early 80"s so assuming the 3rd picture is from the 90's going off the posters stuck to the boards
View attachment 73392View attachment 73393View attachment 73394
Here you go…. This is one I took and then used in my first book published in 1989. I took it from a similar angle to the earlier photo above specifically so I could do a comparison. I was surprised that the pedestrian crossing was still there (and it still is now - you can still see some of the original bricks and stones if you wander the site).

Bugger! I’m having problems attaching the image! Watch this space.

Last edited:
Any city players ?
Yes Dorsett and Burgess plus look out for City trainer Jimmy Broad (with towel) and at one point you can see our manager Tom Maley walking in front of the main stand. I used this in my Boys In Blue talks and highlighted them all as part of it. Broad is a real character.

Oh and our first chairman John Edward Chapman (who died while still chairman) is on the touch line near Maley.

Chapman looks like this:

Maley looks like this:

And Broad looks like this (though about ten years older):

Yes Dorsett and Burgess plus look out for City trainer Jimmy Broad (with towel) and at one point you can see our manager Tom Maley walking in front of the main stand. I used this in my Boys In Blue talks and highlighted them all as part of it. Broad is a real character.

Oh and our first chairman John Edward Chapman (who died while still chairman) is on the touch line near Maley.

Chapman looks like this:

Maley looks like this:

And Broad looks like this (though about ten years older):
Thanks Gary :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.