Hyde Road Stadium

Thanks for confirming. I told all my kids and various other people over the years when we were setting off on train journeys… That’s where City’s ground was.

And then it dawned on me one day, that I’ve no idea how I know that or even if it’s true. Nice to prove not to be chatting shit for once in my life.

I'm sure that it is where all the seafreight containers are stored at the back of the old GUS building.
I was born just off Higher Ardwick and never realised how close the old ground is to where i was born.
Next time i drive i will go round Bennett Street and take some pictures and post them on here.

I'm sure that it is where all the seafreight containers are stored at the back of the old GUS building.
I was born just off Higher Ardwick and never realised how close the old ground is to where i was born.
Next time i drive i will go round Bennett Street and take some pictures and post them on here.
Spot on - as you approach Piccadilly, just before the small (unused?) Ardwick station - the shipping containers on the left are where the stadium was.

The student was JF Maille perhaps?

You know what, I've been mulling this over. I think that's who it was. Jean-François. You have some memory. Useful thing for a historian to have, mind.
He was a nice lad, and I had all the more respect for him that, in a period when it was distinctly unfashionable to support — or even show an interest in — City outside of Manchester, and when that other lot from beyond the city boundaries seemed to be hogging the headlines, he was very clear about which club he supported and wanted to work on. Not at all common in France twenty years ago.
We'll have all the plastics now. That's what television and the media do…

Last edited:
Spot on - as you approach Piccadilly, just before the small (unused?) Ardwick station - the shipping containers on the left are where the stadium was.

I've always wondered about that station. Never seen a soul there, and it has always looked distinctly decommissioned.
As for the shipping containers, I must have looked at them a thousand times without realising what had been there. Particularly fascinated by all the ones that obviously come from China. That tells its own story about how it has now become the workshop of the world.

If the gates led to the ground, there must have been access under the railway lines then – a tunnel, or arches?
I'm wondering that as well - no path indicated on the maps. Is that still your view or has that been revised?

Stumbled across this image from 1906/1907. Is actually a Liverpool website but has some great reports/articles on Hyde Road and City

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.