Hyde Road Stadium

Mate, the work you've done on City's heritage is simply irreplaceable.
Forget Bert Trautmann, Billy Meredith, et al. Build a statue to Gary James ;-)

Many years ago, I supervised a piece of research on City by a young French student from Toulouse. It was a serious piece of work, he went over several times and carried out interviews, looked into archives and suchlike. I'm afraid I've forgotten his name, and lost touch with him after that. I do remember that the main thrust of his argument was that City's distant origins at St. Mark's lay in the whole “muscular Christianity” ethos of Victorian England. It was convincingly argued .
He told me he'd met you, of course. He also told me an interesting thing about talking to Sylvain Distin. Distin was looking musingly around the stands at Eastlands (as it then was), and then said, quite casually, “You know, this is a big club here. Its position doesn't reflect what it rightfully is.” I've embellished it, but it was definitely along those lines.
Sylvain, I raise a glass to you.
The student was JF Maille perhaps?
Thanks for the comments I really appreciate them. There are so many myths, errors and inaccuracies out there that get repeated simply because people just take the stories and don’t dig deep. I’ve always (since 1980s) spent considerable time looking for multiple sources and challenging everything we know. People often want to tell ‘their’ story not City’s. I want City and every club to be accurately presented and I want answers to everything. Where we can’t get answers then we need to be open and say that but even in recent weeks we’ve had spin placed on City’s origins by some who do not have the evidence needed to prove conclusively what they say.

Researching a football club is hard if you want the detail and facts. Most of the sources I use for the early years are still not digitized (or microfilmed in some cases). City’s history is hidden away in old newspapers, magazines, diaries, family collections etc. not on the internet.

It‘s one of the reasons I set up my website. I want to get everything posted. So much hasn’t made it yet into my books. At least it should keep me occupied for a few years.

Thanks again for the comments.

Here‘s a list:

Most are out of print now but you can still pick them up secondhand. Two books (Manchester A Football History and my first book From Maine Men To Banana Citizens), plus lots of my other writing is now available to subscribers to my website. Monthly subscription is £3 per month (cancel anytime, so you could subscribe, get what you need then cancel but I guess I shouldn’t say that!) or you can pay £20 a year.

There are history talks (I’m doing one online tonight re 2005-2009 for free), interviews (audio and written) plus other stuff.

Details of tonight’s talk:

You can see what you think too by watching an earlier talk on Maine Rd and fans here:

I hope this all helps. Cheers
Thanks Gary I will subscribe later

Subbutteo would be about the right size lol
Brookdale Park between Newton le Heath and Failsworth has a lovely tiny sculpture at the BMX/skate/scooter park. Catching The Air marks heritage and modernity. Surely an establishment as historic as City needs a marker at its first home.

https://www.wescover.com/p/public-sculptures-by-adrian-moakes-at-brookdale-park--PSJZO0MhyI

Brk-view-S-from-near-N-small.jpg

Sorry if it’s already been discussed. But I once got told and so always believed that the ground was where that skid pan bus thing was, which was right next to the railway line on the left as you came out of Piccadilly, just before that big train depot place. Is that right?

Here you go…. This is one I took and then used in my first book published in 1989. I took it from a similar angle to the earlier photo above specifically so I could do a comparison. I was surprised that the pedestrian crossing was still there (and it still is now - you can still see some of the original bricks and stones if you wander the site).

Bugger! I’m having problems attaching the image! Watch this space.
Sorted at last:

Attachments

• 25C02449-0536-4D85-987B-5A724DB77E77.jpeg
    25C02449-0536-4D85-987B-5A724DB77E77.jpeg
    973.8 KB · Views: 42

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.