Hyde Road Stadium

Here you go…. This is one I took and then used in my first book published in 1989. I took it from a similar angle to the earlier photo above specifically so I could do a comparison. I was surprised that the pedestrian crossing was still there (and it still is now - you can still see some of the original bricks and stones if you wander the site).

Bugger! I’m having problems attaching the image! Watch this space.
Re the Hyde Road Hotel Gary, any idea why it's so big at the back? The old maps seem to show a huge yard that extends to the back...

Hyde-Road-Hotel-Yard.jpg

Nevermind how many books..... has he ever been on Eggheads?
No, but I was asked to proof read some questions for Mastermind about 18 years ago on City. Sadly, they got the answers from one of those cheap ‘facts’ style books written by non-City fans to cash in and found another similar book which repeated the same shite. I explained they were full of errors but they replied ‘we only need two sources’. So it was somewhat frustrating.

Coincidentally, I was contacted by someone who was going on Mastermind that year asking which of my books to use for some research and i ended up having to recommend these two inaccurate books!

I appreciate that this might well have been dealt with in more detail in some of the historical City literature, most prominently your own. However, my collection of City books resides at my mum's place while I'm abroad so I'm limited in terms of access to material about this.

Anyway, I've long wondered about this, in fact since I saw someone post on Twitter (I think) some years back a scan of a newspaper report from 1913 about City supposedly planning a move to Belle Vue. But the story referenced Mount Road and not Kirkmanshulme Lane, which was always the official address of the dog track, so I thought it was probably a different site.

Looking now at Google Maps, I see that the dog track nestles between Mount Road and Kirkmanshulme Lane. Based on what you say, I assume it actually is that site. I remember that we had a previous exchange about why they eventually disregarded this option, which I've not managed to find searching back through my posts on here (maybe it was on Twitter). I seem to recall you suggested that the maximum capacity would have been around 70K, and the club wanted more.

It always struck me that, while many Blues today regard Maine Road as a spiritual home, it must have been a hell of a shock for fans in the early 1920s to find we were uprooting to move to Moss Side. If there'd been a forum back then that allowed for such an easy exchange of views as this one does now, I bet it would have been inundated with postings of absolute disgust!
Yes to all of that. The dog track was built instead of a new ground for City but many people, including myself for years, assumed they were moving to the ‘speedway’ stadium and hadn’t considered Mount Rd until I found that stuff in 2000s. It seems both sites were actually considered.

Frank Booth (outside left) – carried off injured... Part of the team that won the FA Cup in 1903/04 and finished runners-up in the league.
He's buried in Denton, died in 1919 with a tumour on his heart aged only 37.

View attachment 73406
His death is typically linked to WW1 impact and we included him in the special tribute a few years back by Sky. I took them to his grave at Denton cemetery.

Re the Hyde Road Hotel Gary, any idea why it's so big at the back? The old maps seem to show a huge yard that extends to the back...

View attachment 73408
Yes. It was built on a site that had previously been occupied by a house called White Cottage (or similar - all this is from my head not my notes). That site simply stretched back that far. When City we’re based at the pub there were temporary/low quality huts/buildings stretching up there selling stuff as part of the approach to the Popular Side terracing. It was known as The Croft in articles and was usually muddy.

Here‘s a list:

Most are out of print now but you can still pick them up secondhand. Two books (Manchester A Football History and my first book From Maine Men To Banana Citizens), plus lots of my other writing is now available to subscribers to my website. Monthly subscription is £3 per month (cancel anytime, so you could subscribe, get what you need then cancel but I guess I shouldn’t say that!) or you can pay £20 a year.

There are history talks (I’m doing one online tonight re 2005-2009 for free), interviews (audio and written) plus other stuff.

Details of tonight’s talk:

You can see what you think too by watching an earlier talk on Maine Rd and fans here:

I hope this all helps. Cheers

Mate, the work you've done on City's heritage is simply irreplaceable.
Forget Bert Trautmann, Billy Meredith, et al. Build a statue to Gary James ;-)

Many years ago, I supervised a piece of research on City by a young French student from Toulouse. It was a serious piece of work, he went over several times and carried out interviews, looked into archives and suchlike. I'm afraid I've forgotten his name, and lost touch with him after that. I do remember that the main thrust of his argument was that City's distant origins at St. Mark's lay in the whole “muscular Christianity” ethos of Victorian England. It was convincingly argued .
He told me he'd met you, of course. He also told me an interesting thing about talking to Sylvain Distin. Distin was looking musingly around the stands at Eastlands (as it then was), and then said, quite casually, “You know, this is a big club here. Its position doesn't reflect what it rightfully is.” I've embellished it, but it was definitely along those lines.
Sylvain, I raise a glass to you.

For anyone interested there are some action shots and other images, including one of the King sat in the ‘royal box’, of Hyde Rd on my website. Here’s a link to everything referencing ‘Hyde’ (so you’ll get stuff about Hyde Utd too!):

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.