Hyde Road Stadium

Some good contributions on here. This was what I was hoping for.
Would love to know what Manchester's Ardwick Ales were like! And where they were brewed (presumably very locally). Must have been better than Tetley's, anyway (always hated the stuff, personally).
The comments about north-south orientation confirm what I've always known intuitively, without really thinking about it. Most grounds are that way. In London Stamford Bridge and Craven Cottage are more or less north-south, and the Arsenal and Tottenham stadia are exactly North-South. Brentford's new stadium, though, doesn't conform to the rule. Of course, with kick-offs now all over the place, ranging from 12.30 (coming up very shortly, as we know…) to 18.30, the old rule about where the sun is going to be doesn't really apply any more.
Remember seeing a match from first level East Stand, can't remember which, and being really bothered by the sun for most of it. Must have been a late k.o., but towards the end of the season.
It's quite something to see how Hyde Rd was hemmed in by railways and sidings. Makes you realise just what the railway revolution meant to the early and mid-Victorian period. No good producing stuff if you can't get it shifted to your markets, and that means overseas as well.
Brentford have the same issue that City had at Ardwick.
Closed in by 2 railway lines.
The map below isn't that.clear but you can see the one line on the right side of the ground and another one running above the top of the ground
Screenshot_20230327-192107_Maps.jpg

I always thought it was where the bowling alley is/was facing the greyhound stadium.

Next time I'm around the area I'll go and have a look at where it actually was.
There was a speedway stadium near the dog track til mid/late 80s. Contained a lot of wood so was probably never going to survive after Valley Parade fire.

I always thought it was where the bowling alley is/was facing the greyhound stadium.

Just over the other side of Hyde Road from Buzz Bingo is Gorton Park – we played there in our early days no sure if as West Gorton or Ardwick... best I can work out it's the area highlighted in red behind the primary school...

But, as per Gary James' talk a few weeks back, we also played at...

• Farmer's Field/Thomas Street
• Kirkmanshulme Lane Cricket Club
• Queens Road (Now Gorton Park in attached picture)
• Pink Bank Lane
• Bull's Head Hotel, Reddish Lane

Gorton_Park.jpg

Just over the other side of Hyde Road from Buzz Bingo is Gorton Park – we played there in our early days no sure if as West Gorton or Ardwick... best I can work out it's the area highlighted in red behind the primary school...

But, as per Gary James' talk a few weeks back, we also played at...

• Farmer's Field/Thomas Street
• Kirkmanshulme Lane Cricket Club
• Queens Road (Now Gorton Park in attached picture)
• Pink Bank Lane
• Bull's Head Hotel, Reddish HappenView attachment 73311
Thanks. It would have been as West Gorton or Gorton as the name change to Ardwick came about when the move to Hyde Road happened

There was a football ground there, could see some large double iron gates with MCFC on them. "Manchester Central Football Club". Removed about 20 odd years ago.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.