Hyde Road Stadium

An east-west orientation is unusual. Most football grounds in the UK are built north to south. I believe that this originally evolved at least in part because players are less hindered by having to squint into the sunlight in afternoon or early evening games that they would be with an east-west orientation ...
(Almost) completely irrelevant but i remember a story in one of my old football annuals about an England v. Sweden match in Gothenburg in the 1950s, in days when English folk knew little about what happened in far away foreign places. Before the match began the sun was shining more brightly in one goalmouth than the other. The England staff asked their hosts about it and were told to kick into the sun as "it would be much worse in the second half." When they came out after half time they found the sun had disappeared behind the stand and the expected advantage was lost; as, I think, was the match. Ah, those canny Swedes.

Go along Hyde Road to the junction with Bennett Street near where the railway crosses Hyde Road.
At that junction, the little bit of spare land is where the Hyde Road Hotel / City Gates pub was.
Turn onto Bennett Street and as soon as you go under the railway bridge the ground was on the left.
See the map I posted above your post
The first under bridge was a house my M8 lived in 1958 .So how long that house was built I've no idea..

Some good contributions on here. This was what I was hoping for.
Would love to know what Manchester's Ardwick Ales were like! And where they were brewed (presumably very locally). Must have been better than Tetley's, anyway (always hated the stuff, personally).
The comments about north-south orientation confirm what I've always known intuitively, without really thinking about it. Most grounds are that way. In London Stamford Bridge and Craven Cottage are more or less north-south, and the Arsenal and Tottenham stadia are exactly North-South. Brentford's new stadium, though, doesn't conform to the rule. Of course, with kick-offs now all over the place, ranging from 12.30 (coming up very shortly, as we know…) to 18.30, the old rule about where the sun is going to be doesn't really apply any more.
Remember seeing a match from first level East Stand, can't remember which, and being really bothered by the sun for most of it. Must have been a late k.o., but towards the end of the season.
It's quite something to see how Hyde Rd was hemmed in by railways and sidings. Makes you realise just what the railway revolution meant to the early and mid-Victorian period. No good producing stuff if you can't get it shifted to your markets, and that means overseas as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.