I am very puzzled and quite frankly slightly hurt.

After a political debate and a state of the world discussion with my 20 year old son yesterday he told me thinks there should be an upper age limit on when someone is allowed to vote. I pointed out to him that this would mean his grandmother would not be allowed to vote and that he, would in effect, be stealing her voice. Thing is @Eccles, where does it end, IQ below mine - no vote, disagree with me - no vote, too fat, too thin, smoke, eat poor quality food - no nhs. It's a dangerous path.
Tell your son yes let's bring his views in. When he gets to 50 he may be looking at a state where people over 55 are sent for lethal injection.

I didn't know dinosaurs were racist.

f4e6673911aebe7512e3e737bd454bd3.jpg

I am, as you all must be sick of reading, a bit middle aged ;-) but I don’t think I’m prejudiced against anyone (except naturally LiVARpool and that Stretford lot) and I’m definitely NOT racist or against the youth of the country. You can’t teach and be involved in education at all levels for over 50 years and not like youngsters.

So why all of a sudden is it ok to be oldageist? This month alone I’ve been patronised by 2 professionals who should know better, I read about people resenting our having to use the NHS and services. I’ve been reading about a tennis personage who has accused older people of not having good eyesight because he didn’t get what the tennis player thought he should. Now Lewis Hamilton is attacking old people.

Please someone explain to me why it is wrong to grow old? I remember years ago watching a film in which people over, I think it was 30, were ‘disposed’ of because the population was being kept under control. Is this what these people want to happen now?

I worked all my adult life, paid a full NI Stamp and still pay taxes on my Teacher Pension that I paid a percentage of my salary toward and don’t and never did claim anything at all. I was a one parent ‘family’ without support from my ex-husband as the laws were not very good in those days. My kids didn’t get free dinners (because I was too proud to apply for them) although one son did get a partial grant when he went to Uni (before loans) but he worked to pay for his accommodation and I took a part time cleaning job for a time to help with the rest. If I had been able to afford it he wouldn’t have had to apply even for that part grant.

My offspring and their offspring and my extended family love me so that helps but why are people so hurtful?

Sorry for the sort of rant but I am hurt as well as puzzled.
Lewis Hamilton is a pompous prick. Offended by everything. If he isn't in the limelight he will come out with some shit to make him feel relevant. You EB are a credit to your family, friends,profession and neighbourhood.

First of all, I hope you're well on the road to a full recovery Sheila. Good to see you as feisty as ever.

I agree with you. What grinds my gears is those 'iPad for Seniors' type of books. I'm one of those 'seniors' and I work on the design & development of some of the largest and most complex IT systems in Europe. I don't need some patronising fucker telling me how to use an iPad.
Did you accidentally buy one by pressing the wrong thing on your iPad? Get the grandchildren to show you how to do it ;-)

Cracking post Eccles.I do not know you but you come across as one of the nicest posters on here.
Think it is just part of normal life and some youngsters will always have outrageous views on the old plus advertising are always trying to sell us something.Need more than a pen to sell me insurance.lol.
62 now myself but I think back to when I was young I was lucky enough to stay in a street where every youngster grew up to be a decent human being. You would help the elderly in your street as much as possible and you were also out from dusk to dawn playing.
3 TV channels,black and white TV,no internet,no elotronic games.
Street football,cricket and tennis,hide and seek,guess the TV programme,one of the many games where you ran kerb to kerb trying to beat someone in a race and of course bikes and exploring woods in a gang.Anything where money is not involved.
No drugs as well but did experiment with alcohol from 15 onwards.
Bets you there are more than a few youngsters who have not done any of the above.
School seemed a happier place as well and you respected everyone especially your elders.
I was lucky to have great parents but no better than anybody else in our street,again I think that is now more of of an issue today.
Finally I love the game WordWars on my tablet and my tablet itself but I would still rather play Kerbie.

Lewis Hamilton is a pompous prick. Offended by everything. If he isn't in the limelight he will come out with some shit to make him feel relevant. You EB are a credit to your family, friends,profession and neighbourhood.

What a load of bollocks this is. He's been racially abused by Nelson Piquet who's shown that his opinion on Lewis is clouded by racism. Lewis also criticised Ecclestone who said Putin is first class and he'd take a bullet for him. Unfortunately that is two older voices in the sport making themselves look like pricks and they've quite rightly been called out for it.

There are some incredibly wise older people and some incredibly stupid older people, just like there are in any demographic. Don't be offended by a generalisation though. Times move on and every new generation of older people looks back and wonders what happened and every new generation of younger people think they're past it and have outdated views.

But I think it's safe to say in the Lewis Hamilton case he had every right to be offended.

First of all, I hope you're well on the road to a full recovery Sheila. Good to see you as feisty as ever.

I agree with you. What grinds my gears is those 'iPad for Seniors' type of books. I'm one of those 'seniors' and I work on the design & development of some of the largest and most complex IT systems in Europe. I don't need some patronising fucker telling me how to use an iPad.
Yes grandad, of course you do, and aren’t you clever! Now come on, eat your soup, let me know when you need taking for a wee. We don’t want any more accidents do we.

Sorry. I’ll stop now. I know it’s cruel to pick on the elderly ;)

I do :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.