I hope a heart attack kills me

My Dad died in January, dementia related. He was 89yr old. I think he lived 4 years too long. No quality of life in that period

My memory of what this disease does is a bit vague. My Father in law had vascular dementia and he went quite quickly into a state where he recognised little to nothing at all.

However he "Ghost smoked" he was a smoker all of his life and he constantly smoked an invisible cigarette whilst he paced his cell like room.

It was horrible.

Really sorry to hear this OP (and the others going through the same thing).
My mother has succumbed to over the past couple of years but it's entering the next stage (final stage perhaps).
A year ago she sat at home with the remote control for her TV and able to make her own coffee and snacks (early stages after perhaps a couple of years of not being quite right/memory loss).

When I speak to her now it's like her brain is unwiring. Words are made up and sentences truncated or abruptly ended. I see where that phrase 'just a shell' comes from now.
She still recognises me but I suspect it won't be long before that stops.
She's been in home for quite a few months. Try my best to not too emotional and try and raise laughs, but it's desperately hard isn't it?

Awful.
It is very hard. My mum passed last year after suffering vascular dementia for about a decade. At the end she didn't recognise anyone and it was a blessed relief for her when she passed. Please god someone finds a treatment for this horrible, horrible disease.

Losing my dad to it now and it truly is fucking horrible. He recently had to go into a nursing home after my mum finally accepted she could no longer cope and the place is horrible - people constantly yelling and crying, it stinks of urine at times and they just can’t give all the patients the time and attention they need. I sat with my dad a few days ago and just cried my eyes out looking at what he’s become.
As hard as it is just try to be strong, and remember there’s people on here who’ll listen.
PM me if ever you need to vent ok?
Tough times, been through it with my mum & dad, you just stick with it and remember they looked after you for many years growing up
stay strong…..

Got power if attorney for a cousin who is going downhill rapidly.
She can forget who you are in the time you go for a pee and return. Yet she can occasionally sound completely rational for a few minutes.
It’s only going one way and we are trying to keep her at home with paid for help for as long as possible. Luckily she can afford it.

My Dad went with a heart attack. On the way back from Maine Road. It was horrible for us, especially for my Mum. But from his point of view, it was definitely the way to go. There are far worse endings, and dementia is among the very worst. This year it killed off an old mate of mine from work. A man who was sharp as a tack. To see his decline was heartbreaking. For his family, it must have been 10,000 times worse.

Going through the same with my dad who's 91. He was fit and vibrant at 85, still going to the gym and playing golf. It's the cruelest of diseases that has robbed him of his dignity and caused a lot of stress in the family, especially my mother who has gone downhill. I'd be all for signing up for a pill that would off you if you got diagnosed with it.

OP (or anyone) if need to chat just shout my messages open. My girlfriend's mum been showing signs of it for little while now along with her Parkinson's. Like others just over year ago at home, cooking, cleaning, going shopping, out for meals with us etc etc. Now in care home and some days doesn't know what day it is, where she is etc. Horrible to watch the decline

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.