"I Played For Man City Once You Know"

Hate to be a pedant, but Barney Daniels only scored two on debut, not three. I was there and he had a rocket shot. I thought we'd found the new Franny Lee. The trouble was, BD was bugger all use as a player.

LongsightM13 said:
bluemarauder10 said:
I'm sure Bill Williams wouldn't go around claiming that he played for City. I played football with his son and have been coached by Bill - he is a big red and hates City as much as the next rag.
One of our most bizarre signings ever. A fat, slow, fourth division defender, not even a good player at his own level.

As for the other question, didn't Paul Hince get two on his debut, then got injured in his next game? Gary J is the man with the answers

Paul Hince scored 2 in 2 minutes during the 1st half on his debut against WBA. Typical City managed to draw the game 2-2 whilst we were all hoping this new superstar would bag a hat-trick

Both Lennon and Thompstone's only appearance came within a few weeks of each other - Lennon's at Birmingham City and Thompstone's at Middlesbrough - both attended by yours truly (1987-88)

JGL07 said:
lancs blue said:
bluegaz13 said:
Ron Phoenix ??

40 years ago? Well the goals are fiction but Howard White made his debut against Liverpool in 1971 in a top flight match that was almost a ressies fixture, City had a number of injuries and both sides "rested" players ahead of key European matches. Crowd was less than 20k IIRC - White was carried off in the first half with a broken ankle or leg and never featured again in the first team.

The match was on a Monday night with the ECWC Semi-Final second leg against Chelsea two days later. That made three matches in five days. Hence there were nine changes for the Liverpool match and a further eight changes for the Chelsea match.

Only just spotted this. Not much more to add really - both answers perfect. Howard White is possibly the guy this thread started off questioning.

He was a defender 1970-73, born in Manchester in 1954. He was brought into the first team due to City's injury situation at the time (Liverpool were punished for fielding a weakened team, City were viewed by the FL/FA as having no choice). The match was a rearranged League game and Howard had impressed in the reserve team (reserve debut on 6th March at Wolves).

The game ended 2-2. Attendance was 17,975. City scorers were Steve Carter and Ross (own goal)

Both clubs were ordered to produce medical evidence concerning their weakened teams. As I mentioned City were okay but Liverpool were fined for resting players who could have played. Howard White suffered a broken ankle just before half-time and that was the end of his League career. The rest of his City games were in the Reserves and junior. He moved to Bangor City on a free transfer in June 1973 after the solitary first team app and 44 (plus 1 as sub) reserve apps.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.