Ian Wright

I'm sort of still having difficulty with this, having watched it over and over. I just don't see what's controversial about it. He wipes out Gvardiol. He doesn't touch the ball, and he knows very well he's not getting close to touching it. Yes, Gvardiol's momentum takes him into him. But he just bars his route, and wipes him out.
It's not important. We won 5-1. But apparently there was quite a lot of discussion about it on the media. Just really puzzled. We do get soft penalties, sometimes, and I try to be scrupulously fair on them. No denying it. This isn't one of them.
I'm with you on this - just because the defender "doesn't see him" which they keep mentioning as if it's a vital part of the decision making. He kicks him after gvardiol gets his shot away, he gets none of the ball, its a poor challenge and a free kick anywhere else on the pitch. I dunno.

I'm with you on this - just because the defender "doesn't see him" which they keep mentioning as if it's a vital part of the decision making. He kicks him after gvardiol gets his shot away, he gets none of the ball, its a poor challenge and a free kick anywhere else on the pitch. I dunno.
Collisions happen all the time though. When challenging for the ball, someone always gets there first.

Ederson and Boly collided last week without it being a foul.

Collisions after the shot has been taken rarely get given as penalties though, hence the uproar around Ederson/Jesus last season.

Wright only has two more weeks of MOTD and he’ll only be seen on podcasts. He’ll be largely forgotten about then.
He offers nothing beyond woke box ticking for which he has been paid handsomely for spouting platitudes whilst being given a platform for his football prejudices. Maybe he will get a gig with Jenas on the One Show or on Loose Women. I hope never to see him again on tv. In contrast SWP comes across as credible and knowledgeable. It is hard to believe they are father and son.

He was going through? The ball was sailing over the crossbar!

Fair enough. Just watched it again, several times. I take that point. The Wolves player still makes a tackle on him with no chance of getting the ball. He's seen him. It is not just a “coming together”, or an accidental collision. You can't just whack someone in the area, or anywhere else on the pitch. Penalty.

Fair enough. Just watched it again, several times. I take that point. The Wolves player still makes a tackle on him with no chance of getting the ball. He's seen him. It is not just a “coming together”, or an accidental collision. You can't just whack someone in the area, or anywhere else on the pitch. Penalty.
Fair enough. Just goes to show how subjective decisions can be viewed differently.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.