Ice Hockey | Player arrested for manslaughter following death of Adam Johnson (P18)

Well at least nobody called anybody too woke, a snowflake, blamed cancel culture or the Tories, so that's something!

Nasty player

Not much wrong with that, hardly 'nasty', a normal part of the game.

Reading a lot of the responses on this, I think part of the issue is that people are basing their views on a comparison to football and ice hockey is a very different animal.

I can’t get my better half, brought up on a diet of ice hockey and box lacrosse, to show any interest in football. On the occasions she has watched, there's always the usual rolling of eyes and smirking as she watches big strong grown men get ‘knocked over’ and roll around at the slightest of touches………………..a point I can’t defend.

Her son plays professional lacrosse in both the NLL and MSL and the physicality of that wouldn't even compare to football. Besides the physical style of the game, on occasions they’re not frightened to drop the gloves and trade punches until the refs decide it’s enough and intervene. There have been times when he's been sent out to purposely start a fight with a particular player for 'tactical' reasons. Can't say I agree with that side of things, but it's the way it's played and part of the game.

Now, I’m not saying that it should transfer to the football pitch or go back to the Norman Hunter days, but football is now a pussies game with regard to being a contact sport, so to criticize the hockey challenges is not an accurate response to ice hockey and this accident.

In my view this was purely an unfortunate accident. The game may be physical, but the players will use fists before a weapon like their skates.

The angle, strength and speed of the challenge is what sent the leg and skate in the height and direction it did and it was just unfortunate that the consequences were what they were. Petgrave may be aggressive in style, but I don't believe there was any malicious intent over and above being an enforcer type player.

Not much wrong with that, hardly 'nasty', a normal part of the game.

Reading a lot of the responses on this, I think part of the issue is that people are basing their views on a comparison to football and ice hockey is a very different animal.

I can’t get my better half, brought up on a diet of ice hockey and box lacrosse, to show any interest in football. On the occasions she has watched, there's always the usual rolling of eyes and smirking as she watches big strong grown men get ‘knocked over’ and roll around at the slightest of touches………………..a point I can’t defend.

Her son plays professional lacrosse in both the NLL and MSL and the physicality of that wouldn't even compare to football. Besides the physical style of the game, on occasions they’re not frightened to drop the gloves and trade punches until the refs decide it’s enough and intervene. There have been times when he's been sent out to purposely start a fight with a particular player for 'tactical' reasons. Can't say I agree with that side of things, but it's the way it's played and part of the game.

Now, I’m not saying that it should transfer to the football pitch or go back to the Norman Hunter days, but football is now a pussies game with regard to being a contact sport, so to criticize the hockey challenges is not an accurate response to ice hockey and this accident.

In my view this was purely an unfortunate accident. The game may be physical, but the players will use fists before a weapon like their skates.

The angle, strength and speed of the challenge is what sent the leg and skate in the height and direction it did and it was just unfortunate that the consequences were what they were. Petgrave may be aggressive in style, but I don't believe there was any malicious intent over and above being an enforcer type player.
Apart from the top 3 divisions (Elite National and N&S1) the rest of Ice Hockey is development or age group and only minimal force is allowed here when checking.

Watch a division 2 North game and you will see a massive difference in what is permitted. You can't generalise based on one league.

Apart from the top 3 divisions (Elite National and N&S1) the rest of Ice Hockey is development or age group and only minimal force is allowed here when checking.

Watch a division 2 North game and you will see a massive difference in what is permitted. You can't generalise based on one league.
I don't quite get the point you're trying to make Corky.

There is also a massive difference between what's allowed at the different levels/ages here as well. I'm only referring to the highest levels, either here or over there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.