Icelandic Volcano Part 4

Been to Iceland a couple of years ago on a cruise. Interesting place if you are a siesmologist, vulcanologist or into thermal energy. But other than that it is very dreary and unwelcoming, I will not be going back.
Not going to see a lot of it on a cruise are you?

Love Iceland, great place for a 3/4 day break. The coach trips are fine but if you hire a car you get to see some fantastic sights.

Not going to see a lot of it on a cruise are you?

Love Iceland, great place for a 3/4 day break. The coach trips are fine but if you hire a car you get to see some fantastic sights.
Managed the following:-
  • Saw the light put there by Yoko Ono in honour of John Lennon.
  • Went to Perlan an interactive museum of Iceland created from some disused water storage tanks.
  • The thermal energy plant that supplies most of the heating to Reykjavik.
  • The thermal springs park.
  • The original site of the worlds oldest parliament (Althing).
  • The huge fissure that cuts right across the county.
  • Also crossed the Arctic circle in our ship to visit a town in the north of the island.
Not to bad for just under the three days we were there.

Managed the following:-
  • Saw the light put there by Yoko Ono in honour of John Lennon.
  • Went to Perlan an interactive museum of Iceland created from some disused water storage tanks.
  • The thermal energy plant that supplies most of the heating to Reykjavik.
  • The thermal springs park.
  • The original site of the worlds oldest parliament (Althing).
  • The huge fissure that cuts right across the county.
  • Also crossed the Arctic circle in our ship to visit a town in the north of the island.
Not to bad for just under the three days we were there.

Nicely done. There's loads you did miss out on though, which was my point. Not going to see a lot on a coach tour. You need to go back, hire a car, explore. Your opinion will change. It's a stunning place...especially in the winter.

Tsunami’s have been found to be more common in the British Isles than we’d previously thought.

The last one was only 1,500 years ago, not the 8,000 years ago previously assumed.
@oakiecokie says he was on holidays in the shetlands that year and they're full of shite.

Brace yourselves. Over 50,000 earthquakes in 3 weeks and it’s finally stated erupting.

After several weeks of heightened seismic activity on Iceland’s Reykjanes Peninsula, a volcanic eruption has finally begun, not far from the island nation’s capital city.

The Icelandic Meteorological Office reported Friday night that the eruption had begun on the small mountain of Fagradalsfjall.

The development also spurred local authorities to change the volcanic flight color code to red for the first time in years, which indicates that an eruption is occurring.

The eruption is located in the middle of the peninsula, which connects the capital of Reykjavik to the Keflavik International Airport near its tip. The area is also near the popular Blue Lagoon hot springs resort, although there is no indication yet of any people or property being at any risk

Oh no....all those flights that are going to be cancelled........

Quite interesting to see the camera flashes on the hill(s) behind.
From what I've read, there isn't any real danger in being close to these types of eruptions as long as you've got a bit of elevation and a line of retreat. You're unlikely to get toxic gases being pushed through the air or pyroclastic movement as you would with others, so can't blame people for being there. I'd love to get that close to one myself, I'd say it's an amazing experience.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.