Iconic moments at The Etihad

Yaya length of pitch goal vs Villa.
Guy in North stand concourse in African costume doing the Yaya/Kolo song

Apologies if this belongs in some other thread on the subject of the ground (please move, if so) but here goes... it struck me while reading through the thread debating the Villa comeback v the Aguero goal just how much of an iconic ground the Etihad has become.

Not just Aguerooo and the Villa game but add in Kompany's goal v Leicester and his header v United, Adabeyour's crazy celebration, the Poznan and even Keane doing Alfie Haaland (sorry more notorious than iconic but it remains vivid in the memory)... maybe I am biased but it's hard to think of any other ground that has had so many univerally iconic moments in the last 20 years (and I mean universally iconic - not just significant to us).
I loved Maine Road. The Etihad will never be the same but fuck me, it's turning out to be special in it's own way.
PS: to think some nutjobs say Etihad overpaid, eh?.
EDIT: as has been pointed out, the Keane assault was perpetrated at Old Trafford. Apologies. Schoolboy error on my part.
Haha I was going to point out that error - luckily you edited it, so I didn’t have to mention it……ah

Couldn't get a ticket for the Agueroooo goal but was there for the first Poznan and took part! I also witnessed the truly crazy celebration sat next to an Arsenal fan (my mate) in our end ! Loved it

Also got my face in the clubs picture of the Neil Young game after he passed - the atmosphere was great for that game, can’t remember who the hell we played though !

Sterling's 95th minute winner against Southampton in 2017. Celebrating by running the full length of the pitch. Pep on the pitch hugging David Silva and exchanging high fives with Serge. Mendy limping down the sideline to take a selfie with Raz.
Plus the iconic quote in the commentary "That wins titles".

7-2 vs Stoke.

Yeah Stoke were not a great side but that performance was incredible.

As close to total football as you'll ever see. That pass from Kev to Same was and still is a thing of beauty, only Dave's pass to Dezko at the swamp was better
If Pep hadn't declared by taking KDB off after 70 minutes we would definitely scored 10 if not more.

I absolutely loved the Paulo Wanchope winner against Newcastle. A cracking header at the North Stand in our first season at the new stadium.

Is that where Aguero was sliced down in the box during the last 2 or 3 mins (Evra??) and the ref waved play on?
Should have been given another penalty in the last minute when Phil the face handled the ball whilst making a slide tackle to clear the ball for a corner. Ref didn't spot it because it was only obvious to those behind the goal. VAR would have spotted it today.
Left the ground thinking it was a moral victory and that we were as good if not better. This was only just over two months after the 6-1 when they went down to ten they capitulated whereas we should have at least drawn.

One of our top few atmospheres at the CoMS that day, the entire stadium was at it!

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone else said the 2-1 win over Liverpool when Sane scored the winner was probably the highest quality football match I’ve ever seen live.
A bit of a six-pointer - think they would have gone nine clear if they won but we pulled it back to three.
Always remember walking past where they were locked in after and a guy about 75 shouting to them “you win it in May, not January you scouse bastards”. How right he was (step forward Vinny v Leicester)!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.