If Mourinho was at City....

My United supporting mate detested Mourinho with a passion when at Chelsea. All of a sudden he was the new messiah when appointed at the swamp. I'm loving it now as the knives are starting to get sharpened with each passing week, patience is wearing thin with the messiah.

My Chelsea supporting mate hated him, and his tactics at Chelsea too .... despite the success, he was glad to see the back of hi. Twice.

My United supporting mate detested Mourinho with a passion when at Chelsea. All of a sudden he was the new messiah when appointed at the swamp. I'm loving it now as the knives are starting to get sharpened with each passing week, patience is wearing thin with the messiah.

Thats Rag fans through and through, though.....

"Piss pot with three handles" - now a major trophy
"Europa League - thats below us" - now a major trophy
"We hate Liverpool more than anyone" - yet some of them wanted Liverpool to win the league
"He should be banned for diving" when it's against them, but when it's Young it's "he had the right to go down as he thought he would be tripped"
"Haha you got empty seats" - when they have empty seats it's because it was late notice, too hard to get to, too expensive

The conradiction boys!

If he was our boss I'd consider packing it in until he left (3yrs max) he is a snake I just can't warm to him even when he was over Chelsea.

I think it's the natural pessimist in me, but I do think some of that article is a bit premature (albeit fun to read as a City fan!). I am not a fan of Mourinho and never will be, I don't like the way he uses confrontation and detriment of others to create a mentality in his squad and I'm not a fan of reactive tactics, as again, it seeks out weaknesses of others rather than strengths of his own.

He still is (or at least still could be) an effective coach though and his style
does bring results. Bear in mind, he wanted Stones before we signed him. He would have turned out a completely different player, but he could still have managed him effectively.

There are some fine margins in there too. An injury to Stones or Fernandinho and I think we could potentially struggle still and it's next year that I think we will be truly at our best. I don't think we will, it's just a possibility.

What I would say is that even if Mourinho was to win the title this year (I don't think he will, but I don't think it's over yet either), I still think Guardiola will win the war in that he will change a lot of the discourse about football in this country. We are already seeing pundits starting to realise just what they are watching and whilst Mourinho will always have some plaudits for the trophies he's won, he will never be known as a pioneer or an innovative coach. He could win another trophy, the difference is he could never win one playing the way we are and he knows that himself. That's what's remarkable about what Guardiola does - the way he does it.

Great post particularly the bit about how losing certain key players could derail our season.

I think we all need to enjoy Pep's time with us while we can as it will come to an end all too soon.

Mourinho can only work with what he's got. Despite finishing with the same points the season before Mourinho/Guardiola took over, we had better players in most positions and a much better core which just needed a bit added. United needed a whole new spine pretty much. We are a bigger draw for players these days and can spend more than them. Mourinho would have been similar to Mancini at the start in getting us defending properly again while shifting out anyone who wasn't working hard enough. I feel we would still be destroying teams this season with him as our manager with a slightly different counter attack style akin to his Real Madrid team. He didn't fancy De Bruyne at Chelsea but after seeing his improvement he would have used him like a better version of Ozil at RM or Sneijder at Inter.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.