If the squad stays as it is, what is our strongest 11?

I am flabbergasted that so many of you have omitted Yaya from your line-ups. He would be awesome in a 4-2-3-1 formation, in which Gundogan and Fernandinho would be shielding the defence.
A bit surprised myself but Yaya seems to have fallen from grace. Assuming as now seems likely he stays everything hinges on him bothering to get his mind and body into gear. If he still has some fuel left in the tank and feels he still has something to prove he could make a significant contribution. A lot of '"if's" but.

Nothing is guaranteed but it seems highly probable that Pep anticipates that Stones will be a regular starter this season commencing with a start TM perhaps
I'm sure he will be once Pep has fine tuned him. Whether he has managed that in just a few days, we will find out tomorrow.

Really excited for the game, the place will be buzzing before the match, particularly when the team coach arrives

A bit surprised myself but Yaya seems to have fallen from grace. Assuming as now seems likely he stays everything hinges on him bothering to get his mind and body into gear. If he still has some fuel left in the tank and feels he still has something to prove he could make a significant contribution. A lot of '"if's" but.
coming to the twilight of his career I fear his best days are behind him and will only feature as an impact sub in my opinion

From January:

Hart
Stones Kompany Otamendi
Sane Fernandinho Gundogan Sterling
KDB
Aguero Jesus

I'd say the defence and gundogan with fernandinho picks itself.
If we were hitting teams on the break, I'd favour toure joining the middle 2 with navas and sane with aguero for pace.
If we were defending high and looking to unlock a defence, I'd favour silva, kdb and sane with aguero.
We've not just got the option to play multiple tactics but also a manager who isn't afraid to change the system if it isn't working.

I am flabbergasted that so many of you have omitted Yaya from your line-ups. He would be awesome in a 4-2-3-1 formation, in which Gundogan and Fernandinho would be shielding the defence.

http://spielverlagerung.com/2016/08/05/guardiolas-tactical-challenges-at-manchester-city/

Read the tactical analysis which a lot of us saw watching our games last season, it's a perfect explanation. Yaya isn't disciplined enough or fit enough to play, however good he is at passing and retaining "safe" possession, Pep hates tika taka and that's all Yaya is capable of these days.

I think the target is to end up playing this team at home against weaker opposition.

I'm pretty sure Pep usually likes to play 3 at the back against a 4231. That's why he's gone all out for Stones and Bonucci, because it's essential to have centre backs who are comfortable on the ball to play that way.

Also this shape is the best way to get Silva and KDB in to the same team operating in their favoured area of the pitch.

Perhaps KDB will play further forward as he is a bigger goal threat, but Silva would take the piss in that team. Having two energetic grafters behind him who have the quality to get the ball in to his feet, KDB nearby on the same wavelength, real penetrating runs with pace out wide from Sane and Sterling for him to feed, and the movement of Aguero pushed right on the last man, we could actually score 10!

I like the idea of Silva and KdB playing in positions where they can hurt the opposition. If any manager can create a system where they can play in the same side it is Pep. I remember having doubts that Ali B and Berkovic could play together but that team produced some wonderful football (at a lower level).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.