If you were on the dole would you pick fruit ?

Bill Walker

Team supported
City
The Aussie government doubled the amount of dole payment when covid hit. So they don't want jobs. And backpackers aren't allowed into Oz.

Now we're short of 26,000 fruit pickers.
The fruit will now just rot.

Brilliant.

The Aussie government doubled the amount of dole payment when covid hit. So they don't want jobs. And backpackers aren't allowed into Oz.

Brilliant.

nobody is going to do it long term. It’s physically hard and pays poorly.

Investment is needed to develop robotic pickers.

Managed two days picking rock melons in Catherine whilst backpacking - some of my worst memories of 18 months traveling - God the NT is grim

Brilliant.
Isn't the solution on your doorstep? Allow the thousands of asylum seekers being held in detention camps to work as fruit pickers.

Brilliant.

who would have done the work say, 100 years ago?

a deeper question.

has globalisation been bad for the average farmer and their family? Being forced to accept less for their crops than in times gone?

I think people were generally fitter when most job involved more physical work.

So for years the industry relied on cheap overseas (backpacker) labour probably with many working illegally, now that cheap labour is unavailable all the fruit farmer need do is offer a decent wage, hiliday and sickness schems etc and they may get loads applying.

Plus are their many fruit farms local to where all these lazy doleys are living for thme to travel too?

Last edited:
It’s what you make of it. I’d pick fruit if I was young and healthy.

The stress I’ve endured in an office has pushed me to the brink a few times.

Can’t the militant vegans do it? The only way to save the planet by all accounts... Bet they won’t!

Brilliant.
You should get a points system for migrants. We’re getting one called the ‘Australian system’, so perhaps you could adopt the ‘British points system’? Apparently it solves all you migration and economic problems in one go......

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.