Ilkay Gundogan - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of negative comments as is on the vinny thread.
These guys are coming back from injury.
Gundogan has looked world class at times for us (Barcelona at Home springs to mind)
Great player with a big future with us.

Doesn't look suited to the Silva role, his movement between the lines isn't as good and not great at twisting and turning away from defenders. Think Bernardo would have been the better option, particularly with right footed Jesus also playing on the left.

Gundogan-Kevin is an ill-suited midfield duo anyways, neither offers the tight dribbling that the Silvas offer.
Pep should ideally rotate like: Silva/Silva and Kevin/Gundogan

I think the reason he doesn't do this is because he wants Bernardo on the wings (where we have 0 depth for Sterling and Sane) and Jesus is not suited as a winger.

Gundogan-Kevin is an ill-suited midfield duo anyways, neither offers the tight dribbling that the Silvas offer.
Pep should ideally rotate like: Silva/Silva and Kevin/Gundogan

I think the reason he doesn't do this is because he wants Bernardo on the wings (where we have 0 depth for Sterling and Sane) and Jesus is not suited as a winger.
Exactly why we need Alexis. He can rotate with Sané/Sterling and Jesus/Agüero, and we can rotate Ilkay/Kev and David/Bernardo.

As a team, our movement tonight was not good at all for long stretches.

Especially in the first half you had Southampton's back line with Aguero and or Jesus nearly in line, then in the gap Gundogan, then a bank of 3 Southampton midfielders playing pretty narrow.

Gundogan would shift to the left or right slightly as the ball moved left or right - and that bank of three would shift too.

===back line====
o Gundogan
X X X - S/H Midfielders

o KDB/others - No way to thread a pass to Gundogan.

At any rate, Gundogan was shadow marked with this formation which occurred over and over. As a result, Gundogan rarely got the ball.

Was this his fault? I don't know - I guess he could move downfield, out of the gap once in a while to get the ball. But I think the problem mainly lies elsewhere - we failed to create enough threats in wider areas to pull Southampton out of position and/or to threaten a pass from wide into Gundogan.

TL/DR - Gundogan's impact on the game was minimal because he rarely got the ball; and he rarely got the ball because we failed to pull apart Southampton's defense.

Especially in the first half you had Southampton's back line with Aguero and or Jesus nearly in line, then in the gap Gundogan, then a bank of 3 Southampton midfielders playing pretty narrow.

Gundogan would shift to the left or right slightly as the ball moved left or right - and that bank of three would shift too.

===back line====
o Gundogan
X X X - S/H Midfielders

At any rate, Gundogan was shadow marked with this formation which occurred over and over. As a result, Gundogan rarely got the ball.

Was this his fault? I don't know - I guess he could move downfield, out of the gap once in a while to get the ball. But I think the problem mainly lies elsewhere - we failed to create enough threats in wider areas to pull Southampton out of position and/or to threaten a pass from wide into Gundogan.

TL/DR - Gundogan's impact on the game was minimal because he rarely got the ball; and he rarely got the ball because we failed to pull apart Southampton's defense.

agree with you.
lack of width is the real reason both KDB and Gundogan struggle to find space.
if both Sane and Sterling are playing, plus attacking fullback like Walker and Mendy behind them,
bus parking tactic will be hard to hold for 90 minutes.

===back line====
o Gundogan
X X X - S/H Midfielders

He was getting the ball mate, but he was shite, unfortunately. So passing to him often had no point to it. He did a couple of clever things which could have affected the game, & nicked the ball once or twice in their half, but on the whole, offensively, defensively & inbetween, he was utter dross.

I have been slagging off players like Dier & Henderson playing in England's midfield & receiving the ball with their back to goal, not knowing what was behind them, so playing it safe by knocking it straight back. That was Gundogan, last night. Over & over again, easy, shit, nothing football. Difference being, those two at least win a few balls, or a header.

He was one of the main reasons we struggled last night.

Hopefully it's just the time out plus the lack of game time & he can get it back. But if that had been Delph coming in for a rare start, he would be written off as not good enough, by 90% on here & it would be difficult to disagree. It's only because of Gundogan's previous quality that he's not getting the same.

He was nowhere near good enough for City, last night & needs to get 100% better if he's going to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.