Ilkay Gundogan - 2018/19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
As good as Gundogan is, and he is quality two things happened last year when he played, one was our ability to win the ball back quickly suffered the second was the failure of the high press, yes a lack of pace was exposed, Pep may have the answer but i was hoping for a young pacy DM to hide the problem, as we did not get one Gudun is going to have to improve that area

He's likely to be the replacement for KDB despite the wishes of some, so we'll have to hope the consistency of regular playing time will help him hit some form.

We keep talking about his Dortmund form, but I was really happy with him in 16/17 before he got crocked (I think he averaged a goal every 3 games or something), and I don't think it's unreasonable he might get back there sooner or later with regular games. He scored against Liverpool, United and Tottenham last season and he's scored against Barcelona too, so his goal threat might become valuable to us as an attempt at a replacement for Kev's creative output.

We could do with it & also assists if KDB is missing.

He says today he is very fit after being injury free, so there is no more to come in that regard if that's true.

Just have to hope it's only match fitness which had him off the pace.

We could do with it & also assists if KDB is missing.

He says today he is very fit after being injury free, so there is no more to come in that regard if that's true.

Just have to hope it's only match fitness which had him off the pace.

I do think a run of games int he side would really help him. It's the same with the likes of Danilo, or even recently Jesus. They're getting 20-30 minutes a week or less, and then when needed expected to hit their top form. I have no doubt KDB would be miles below his best level if he only started 2 games a month.

His form before both his injuries at City (vs Watford in 16/17 & WBA in 17/18) was excellent

Except for a few games as a DM he has been generally poor since tho. Need him to step up now.

I do think a run of games int he side would really help him. It's the same with the likes of Danilo, or even recently Jesus. They're getting 20-30 minutes a week or less, and then when needed expected to hit their top form. I have no doubt KDB would be miles below his best level if he only started 2 games a month.

Well this is his career at City coming up. He either becomes a major player now or a luxury player with one foot out the door imo.

City need him now.

As good as Gundogan is, and he is quality two things happened last year when he played, one was our ability to win the ball back quickly suffered the second was the failure of the high press, yes a lack of pace was exposed, Pep may have the answer but i was hoping for a young pacy DM to hide the problem, as we did not get one Gudun is going to have to improve that area
have you seen the games he played when ferna was out or he had to come in,?

I think Gundogan is a very talented, intelligent footballer what we need to see from him is a bit more aggression in both the tackle and demanding the ball. I’ve seen him a few times where the game just passes him by when he should be grabbing control of matches as both KDB and Silva do.

People are expecting him to be a player he is not. What he is, is a world class player with a fantastic touch, awareness and vision. What he is not is Fernandinho, so those expecting a direct replacement need to accept that it doesn't exist, and get on with supporting a wonderful player who brings a lot to our squad.

Has his chance now , If there's no improvement we will just have to accept that he's never going to be the player he was and move him on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.