Ilkay Gundogan - 2018/19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he is a superb player. He has superb movement off the ball so he is always in space. He is also adept at receiving the ball in tight areas on the half turn and spinning away to create forward movement. I have no understanding whatsoever of those who have him as a whipping boy. Thankfully, Pep rates him highly.

A fair assessment. I think he has been a bit if a whipping boy as you say, probably as he is least demonstrative of our midfield. And as his skills are a little more subtle some of our fellow bluemooners would need them pointing out. I really enjoy watching him and at 21 million, we could have had half a Danny drinkwater instead.

A fair assessment. I think he has been a bit if a whipping boy as you say, probably as he is least demonstrative of our midfield. And as his skills are a little more subtle some of our fellow bluemooners would need them pointing out. I really enjoy watching him and at 21 million, we could have had half a Danny drinkwater instead.

Danny Sipwater.

It's not coincidence our results are poorer with him in the side than when he is not in there.

Hmm....Is it a coincidence? Is it even true?

Gundogan started 29 games last season. P29 W21 D2 L6. Lets look at the losses -

Shakhtar 2-1 - Are we going to blame Gundogan for that? He was playing with kids and reserves, it was a dead rubber Pep sent out a B team for.

Basel 2-1 - Again...We were 4-0 up in the tie (thanks to 2 goals from Gundogan) and we played a B team with Bravo, Yaya, Zinchenko, Tosin and Brahim all playing.

Liverpool 3-0
Liverpool 4-3
United 3-2
Wigan 1-0.

The serious games which affected the season. Gundogan started 2 Liverpool defeats, but then again we lost when he didn't start as well. Is he solely to blame? No. Liverpool are the team best suited to us and beat us with or without Gundogan. He was particularly bad in the 3-0 defeat but he was also playing as some hybrid RW/Attacking midfield experiment we've not seen before or since.

United - Gundogan to blame? Well he scored, and he wasn't the reason we conceded, but he did miss an easy goal which would have sealed it, so he's probably as much to blame as Sterling and the others who missed easy goals.

Wigan - Delph got sent off, the referee denied us an obvious red card. He's not to blame.

So if you exclude the "B team" dead rubber games he played because they're obviously not relevant, we won 21 with Gundogan and lost 4, three of which happened to be against the toughest opposition of the season, and 1 in a game where we were sent down to 10 men and got fucked by the referee.

He was in our biggest losses of the season, but then again KDB, Fernandinho, David Silva also played in all of those as well.

So basically our results aren't poorer with him in the side. It's not a coincidence because it's just not true.

Last edited:
Gundogan is class - but isn't necessarily a great DM. And our attacking mid is full of talented players. I don't see him getting regular minutes in our side in games that count barring injuries/need to rest other players.

Interesting that Pep said he sees Gundogan as a Lampard/Scholes type of player in terms of how he arrives in the box at the right moment.

I'd start him on Sunday, he was very good against Arsenal last time we played them and his pass to Bernardo in the build up to our second goal last weekend was class. I think this will be a really good season for him and I've high hopes he'll reach the level he was at when he was at Dortmund.

I don’t understand why people underate him so much.

As an AM he is pure class. Vision and can finish.

Write him off at your peril.
I agree. Much as id like Foden and Diaz to get games..this canny experienced technically brilliant football player is invaluable to our club,partc in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.