Ilkay Gundogan - 2018/19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gundogan thrives as part of a dual pivot - his partner attacks and he provides additional cover. In a pivot, when not pressured, he can pick a pass. He can also go forward and has a very good shot on goal.

If not under pressure, Gondogan will kill you; under pressure, he's not nearly as clinical.

He's definitely good enough to be a role player - and if the opposition is simply sitting in, he's 2nd in line to Fernandinho as DM - perhaps preferred to Fernandinho if the opposition is simply going to park the bus; and if we play a dual pivot, he's first choice.

But he's not a metronome which is what we were pursing with Jorginho.
I think this is a very fair assessment. What I think we've all been hoping for is just that little extra oomph (like with Stones). Just to show that bit of character when things get a bit scrappy. The talent is there, and his ceiling is high. Let's see if he makes the push.

He had a habit of scoring in big games last season when he played. I wonder if that was a coincidence? (I genuinely can't figure it out one way or another)

why Pep said a couple of days ago, that he wasn't signed to play that role, he wants him further up.

Now what Pep did say, is how he rates Gundogan around the penalty area & he has an eye for stuff there & mentioned Paul Scholes.

Any chance you a link to quotes or recall exactly when Pep said this?

I can't think of anything else I've seen Pep on, recently, so that may be it.

If I remember correctly, I think the implication may have been Gundogan scoring goals, in which case, now presumably fully fit, it could be interesting.
Yeah it was on that show. He said Gundogan can play the 6, but he has a natural smell for goals so he like him a little more forward too.

Yeah it was on that show. He said Gundogan can play the 6, but he has a natural smell for goals so he like him a little more forward too.
Won the ball back well high up the pitch but his use of the ball, particularly at potentially key moments, was poor.

Poor is a relative term. I'm measuring him against De Bruyne and the Silvas, but they're his competition.

Not convinced by him. He has 2 years left on his deal, if he wants extension to that, he needs to improve a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.