Ilkay Gundogan - 2018/19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's frustrating me and it's frustrating me that Pep seems to see him as an attacking midfielder.

For me he is a deep lying midfielder who'll take the ball from the 'keeper and defence and be the start of attacks; not the one trying to unlock the door in the last third (which he appears, very much, to struggle).

It's not actually true. All players in that position give the ball away when pressed & Fernandinho's passing at weekend was as good or better than anything Gundogan has ever produced.

If Gundogan played as he did in Dortmund, he would be able to play where he played v Lyon. He hasn't been that player very often for City. Barca years ago is the only game I can remember seeing the true Dortmund version.

Okay we're going to have to agree to disagree. We clearly see different things.

BTW-Gundogan played as a pivot at BVB and when he has done so at City he has played well but at City he has largely not been used this way. My contention is that Pep should give him more opportunity here as he may well settle in to a position he used to play with great effect and solve one of our problems.

He's frustrating me and it's frustrating me that Pep seems to see him as an attacking midfielder.

For me he is a deep lying midfielder who'll take the ball from the 'keeper and defence and be the start of attacks; not the one trying to unlock the door in the last third (which he appears, very much, to struggle).

That's it in a nutshell really, he's doing nothing wrong in that role but he lacks the cutting edge needed to make a proper impact on games.

That's it in a nutshell really, he's doing nothing wrong in that role but he lacks the cutting edge needed to make a proper impact on games.
That's what it is. He's a nice player who doesn't have a lot of pace and struggles to find the right killer pass in the right situations.

David has it, Bernardo has it, Kevin has it... i just don't see that Gundo does but he's good deeper in midfield for me. He should be in rotation with Fernandinho, not Bernardo!

His best games for us (Spurs away last season, for example) have been when he's done this^ for us

You can disagree but the facts are that Gundogan has the best pass completion of any of our midfield - by a relatively large margin - and only David Silva gets dispossessed (marginally) less.

Don't have any facts on how many of his passes put other players in trouble but I did rewatch the Wolves game, after Gundo got a lot of stick, and paid him close attention. In that game, I thought his choice of pass (be it backwards, forwards...) was almost always a good one.

I'm pretty sure Pep likes him because he doesn't give the ball away cheaply, which he has made quite clear he hates.

Tbh I'm completely unwilling to accept basic stats on pass completion (or anything else for that matter) unless the circumstances & end result are taken into consideration. One of his pass completion stats for Tues involved him giving the ball to Fernandinho with two players charging him down & no out ball. Other times he misses a forward passing opportunity & plays it to defenders who are then pressed.

The stat difference between Fern & Gundogan in possession is not worth talking about imo & I think Fernandinho make stuff happen a lot more than Gundogan does.

He plays well in a comfort zone imo & we need him to take the strain from people lik Fern & Silva which he currently can't do.

He has had a fairly consistent run as a regular in the team now & imo anyone who says they would look at his performances & want to sign him, even cheap, if he was at another club, would be telling lies.

I think City are currently better when he doesn't play.

I still try to hope that will change but it's looking less likely with each game.

Okay we're going to have to agree to disagree. We clearly see different things.

BTW-Gundogan played as a pivot at BVB and when he has done so at City he has played well but at City he has largely not been used this way. My contention is that Pep should give him more opportunity here as he may well settle in to a position he used to play with great effect and solve one of our problems.

From 2016

Many presumed that Gundogan would be the deep-lying pivot of the team, but Fernandinho has been in exceptional form in that role.
And Gundogan revealed that he expects to play in one of the two advanced midfield positions in which Silva and De Bruyne have been outstanding so far this season.

“I think it is my position,” he said. “I can also play a more defensive role, but this is our formation at the moment, with Fernandinho as number six and David and Kevin as eight and ten.

One of his pass completion stats for Tues involved him giving the ball to Fernandinho with two players charging him down & no out ball

When was this mate? I'm assuming second half because I rewatched the first half this morning ( specifically watching Gundogan) and don't recall seeing it.

From 2016

Many presumed that Gundogan would be the deep-lying pivot of the team, but Fernandinho has been in exceptional form in that role.
And Gundogan revealed that he expects to play in one of the two advanced midfield positions in which Silva and De Bruyne have been outstanding so far this season.

“I think it is my position,” he said. “I can also play a more defensive role, but this is our formation at the moment, with Fernandinho as number six and David and Kevin as eight and ten.

This proves what ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.