Ilkay Gundogan - Done Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep does rarely use subs for starters. We still have a few game changers already on our books who play in midfield. The better option would be bringing in an extra striker instead.
Willie’s dad said we are working on bringing a striker in.

Opposite. Gundo has had his time at City as a player and the Premier League isn't the most forgiving for players who are advancing in years. It does make you wonder why Barcelona are looking to offload him after just a season.

You don’t think Gundo could handle a reduced minutes role?

Just watched a 37 year old Vardy have a top game v Spurs.

39 year old Ashley Young still putting a shift in for Everton on Saturday.

Gundog is 33.

You’re making him out to be a 53 year old, 40 a day, dinner lady.

I just don't see Gundo coming back when we effectively let him go by not offering a longer contract. Would look a bit silly on both sides, but would be chuffed if it did happen

Doesn’t look as silly as us thinking we could replace him with Nunes / Phillips, mate.

We dropped a massive bollock there and now the universe is aligning so we can put it right.

You don’t think Gundo could handle a reduced minutes role?

Just watched a 37 year old Vardy have a top game v Spurs.

39 year old Ashley Young still putting a shift in for Everton on Saturday.

Gundog is 33.

You’re making him out to be a 53 year old, 40 a day, dinner lady.
Not when we are well covered in midfield and midfielders still requires plenty of leg work to go along with the brain. He still had a few injuries during last season to. It does make you wonder why Barcelona are quick to offload him.

On the one hand I just bloody love Gundogan, he’s a great player and a great person to have at the club.

On the other hand he’s 33 and his direct replacement was just MOTM playing the exact role we are getting Gundogan to play, and we’ve got potentially world class kids all over that #8 position who will undoubtedly get less games, be on the bench less and develop less if Gundo plays instead of them, which he will because Pep always values seniority over everything.

I also wonder what happens with the captaincy?

I won’t be sad if it happens, not by a long shot, but I feel like there’s a good chance he left when he was supposed to leave.

Always leave them wanting more etc.
It’s a weird one. I agree there are a few reservations, but those reservations were true (to an even greater extent) should we have signed Guimaraes. And if we were on the brink of signing Bruno G, I think these issues would have been mentioned much less, despite ringing truer.

I hope that Pep will be making it clear to Gundo that he is more of a backup this time around, should he join. He needs to know he is not starting anywhere near as often as before. Then he needs to decide if he’s cool with that or if he’d prefer to start every game in Turkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.