Ilkay Gundogan

It's right up there! Probably the best I remember against City was Berbatov for Spurs. Insane performance.

It's the best individual performance I've witnessed against us and I've been going down to City for over 40 years.

It's the best individual performance I've witnessed against us and I've been going down to City for over 40 years.
Think the only player I remember getting a good round of applause once at Maine road was Paul merson I think for villa

I would chuck in Henry when he brought the ball under control over his shoulder and smashed it in the corner.

Dumitrescu when we beat spurs 5-2

Chris Waddle when sheff wed beat us 2-0 or 3-1 and poor mike quigley was tasked with marking him.

I think out of all our signings recently, Gundogan seems to be happiest to play for us. Seems to actually love the club. Good to see!

Can't wait to see him play for us, he looks like a special player.

For me Allan Simonsen playing for Borussia Monchengladbach against us in the late 1970's, maybe 1977 or 1978 is the best individual performance of an opposing player imo.

We lost the match and he scored a goal which was bent low into the corner of the net. That night he absolutely destroyed us.

All the others are worthy contenders, but that Wednesday night game at Maine Road, I watched his performance in awe.

However back into reality and the present day I can't wait to see a fully fit Ilkay Gundogan in full flow. That Dortmund game was probably the best away performance of any visiting team I've seen in a long time.

Last edited:
For me Allan Simonsen playing for Borussia Monchengladbach against us in the late 1970's, maybe 1977 or 1978 is the best individual performance of an opposing player imo.

We lost the match and he scored a goal which was bent low into the corner of the net. That night he absolutely destroyed us.

All the others are worthy contenders, but that Wednesday night game at Maine Road, I watched his performance in awe.

However back into reality and the present day I can't wait to see a fully fit Ilkay Gundogan in full flow. That Dortmund game was probably the best away performance of any visiting team I've seen in a long time.
1979 Eufa cup quarter final tie it was. Though we were well beaten in the return leg, I don't think they beat us at Maine Road. Simonsen did score for them, but I'm sure Mick Channon scored an equaliser for us in a 1-1 draw.

My late dad & myself went to both legs. First trip abroad to watch the team. Absolutely loved the experience. Stayed in the same holiday inn as the players & was lucky enough to meet, and have a fairly long chat with, Peter Barnes (absolute gent)

Never let on that he would shortly become a West Brom player though... I wouldnt have been so eager to have h
my photograph taken with him if I'd known :-)

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.