Ilkay Gundogan - Done Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm indifferent to this one. He was great for us obviously but unless he still has legs to play the six which seems unlikely (and comes on a free on a two year deal at maximum) we don't need him.

Gundogan is 33 years old with no resale value and would likely be among top earners if he returned to us. His legs are completely gone too.

He is a Man City legend, but people needs to move on from him. The clubs needs younger players.
I do think people are remembering the FA Cup heroics and are forgetting how tired his legs looked at times during his final season here. I wish him all the best, but I believe the club made the right call to move on.

giphy.gif

What’s everyone else having for lunch?

He's also free, duh!

Gundogan's contract with Barca expires at 2026

1 year contract until we get bruno/wharton/whoever would be ace

Gundogan left us two years because he wanted a longer contract with more money. I doubt he wants 1 year contract with lower wages.

More likely he goes to Saudi or USA.

We don’t want to resell him. He would be a player who knows the club inside out, won’t be intimidated as a new signing joining the best team in the world, can cover a couple of positions and would be a cheap and easy deal to make.
That’s before we talk about his quality as a player.
We aren’t offering a 4 year contract.

Julian Alvarez is the proof a player's resale value is very relevant. It gives Man City a lot of profit to sign young players for cheap and sell them for tons of money. So we can re-invest the money to bring in other young players.

Gundogan is a very good player, but it's everything else about him (age, wages, no-resale) that doesn't make him a great value signing.

We need to get him back here before we 'worry' about resale value

We don't need a 33 year old dude who will get worse as the year passes. We need younger players.

I do think people are remembering the FA Cup heroics and are forgetting how tired his legs looked at times during his final season here. I wish him all the best, but I believe the club made the right call to move on.
If anything he was getting stronger as the season went on in his final season with us, As usual he turned it on come March, April and May.

Scoring goals against Leeds at home, Everton Away, His displays against Real Madrid in the Champions League home and away and then his goals in the FA Cup final.

Personally I think he still more than has it, He was superb in the Euros too he played really well. I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

Gundo for a year with an option of a second based on a minutes clause before transitioning into a coaching role would be top all round.
The club was reportedly only willing to give him a one year deal for last season, so they aren't going to commit to multiple years now.

We made the right call to move on and Barcelona were foolish as usual. We should really be applauding Pep, our scouts, and Txiki for knowing the right time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.