I'm not really here - Paul Lake

read paul lakes book just before xmas. Also I've just finished reading Trautmann's Journey. Both highly recommended, Superb books by City legends.

I read it on holiday over the new year, top top book.

Like someone said earlier fair play to Ferguson for stepping in at the last minute for his testimonial, and to uniteds England contingent for playing so close to an international. (show how highly Lakey was regarded in football)!

I also started to fill up a bit while reading it.

The part that got me was when he said he was in a restaurant waiting for his take away just after his testimonial and some bloke came over to him and apologised for not being able to make the game.

Lakeys response was: 'It's ok mate, I realise we had a game the day before and moneys tight for peole at the minute'

The bloke: 'It's not that Lakey, I just couldnt bring myself to say goodbye to you'

He said he then got in his car, sat there for a minute and broke down in tears.

Legend!

Being around the same age as Lakey, I do recall the a lot of the events he talks about.
Having read the books of older players such as Neil Young, Colin Bell, Mike Summerbee etc, its great to now have a book of a different generation.
Where my dad could relate to stories from those players and I could appreciate them, in this book we can both relate to the content which is great.
Its sad to think that Lakey comes from a lost generation to a certain extent where players love the club, love football and dont do it just for the money.
Paul deserves his place in fans hearts and its a shame that a great number of young blues never got to see how good he was or can truely appreciate how local young players loved the club.

I read it. Amazing.

I suffered same injury as Paul while playign semi pro and the book was hard to read at times. i never made a comeback either.

I messaged Lakey on FB to tell him how much it meant to me, and you know what. He took the trouble to reply.

Absolute legend.

Looking forward to meeting Lakey (and getting a copy of his book) on Wednesday next. He is over in Ireland with the FA Cup and the CITC Coaches for a number of events next week - Donegal on Wednesday.

Just found my City stash in the loft - Paul Lake's testimonial programme, and the 5-1 Derby win.

Some of the forgotten names bring back memories, Mark Seagraves, Gary Fleming....

Wonder who Lakey was talking about though, specifically, in the early/mid 90s squad when he talks about players obviously not caring for the club? I've checked the team sheets for 94-96 and I can;t see anyone obvious?

Got it for christmas & read it in a few days. It's a great read. Had a tear in my eye once or twice. Like many other fans who watched him come through the youth team into the 1st team, for me, one of the best players I have ever seen playing for City.

Berkovic_blue said:
I got the book for Christmas and for anyone who hasn't read it yet I can't recommend it highly enough. I got so engrossed in it I finished it in a couple of days, it really is an outstanding read.

There's some very interesting stories in there and properly funny moments as well as tragedy but I also found it very inspiring the way Lakey battled on to forge a new career after retiring from playing. Great to see him back at the club these days as CITC ambassador and doing an excellent job from what I've seen in the videos on the official site. The book should be required reading for any blue imo :)

I too got it for xmas - probably the best sporting autobiography ever?

It is indeed an excellent book. Full of humility, honesty, humour and modesty.

Then again, one should expect no more as these are qualities and characteristics entirely reflective of the author.

He lived every school boys dream and could have been the next Bobby Moore had the opportunity not been so cruelly taken away. How he fought back from that is a true measure of the guy.

The club are lucky to have the likes of Lakey and Alex W as ambassadors.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.