Implication of 25 squad rule is going to be weird...

Cobwebcat

Team supported
Manchester City
OK at the moment it's all a bit novel and everyone knows there will be a high turnover but after 01/09/2010 it gets very interesting and things change forever.

Imagine that we have our 25 players named and registered and all the players know they are either in or out. The fun starts from all the other subsequent windows. For as long as football existed when a new player is signed it was an addition to the squad and nothing else but now there are more implications for everyone. A player in means another one out (can't play in the Prem) so there will be just as much speculation on who the one leaving will be.

As soon as a Prem club signs a new player the first question is who is for the chop and where's he going and who is he replacing in their squad and so on.....

From 01/01/2011 it will get very interesting and I think quite a culture shock not to be underestimated.

I don't think it will work in the long-term as injuries / suspensions will take their toll and render this rule null and void given the amount of emergency loans that will be called in. Just a prediction of mine.

Also for the under 21's, I can see a lot getting the flick once they're old enough to have to be on the 25 man list.

moomba said:
Also for the under 21's, I can see a lot getting the flick once they're old enough to have to be on the 25 man list.
agreed
rules and quotas often have a nasty habit of changing the expected outcomes into something totally different
market forces should always be allowed to function

in this case i can see many 21 year olds being discarded if they haven't developed into the 'complete' player rather than be persevered with

the FA want to try and encourage the development of more English players and I feel the rule will actually restrict their places

perhaps they should have made the cut off age at 23 as by them most players have developed enough to know how good they are going to be in the future

also, if you think about it, this might put a few footballers out of work - or at least out of the Premiership (I mean how many clubs had more than 25 squad players before this stupid rule came in? Liverpool used 60-odd under Rafa for one season!)

The governing bodies are trying to come up with ideas to improve homegrown talent coming through at clubs and a hope that it may improve international football. Unfortunately every idea they have come up with has been shite.

Yeah I think this will have a negative effect on the premiership cause as soon as a player hits 21 and has to be registered it will be a simple question of is he good enough to make the first team if it's no then goodbye or kept to make up numbers with very little prospects of playing football for that club not like it was before where you could keep players and gamble that they would still make the step up now it will be cut and dry. The homegrown rule will take away from the quality of squads as well with most teams having to name 3-4 people in the group of 25 who qualify as homegrown but with very little chance of getting regular football if any at all which effectively gives you a 21-22 man squad. This I think is the reason city are desperate for millner who will qualify as homegrown and will play games increasing the amount of people in our squad who will get regular first team football

The one benefit is that it will stop the top clubs (us included) stockpiling players that don't play but would walk into another Prem's starting 11. Overall this should improve the quality of the league.

However it will fail to produce more homegrown players for the reasons people point out. It's a shame the rule makers aren't as clever as we are :-)

Cobwebcat said:
The one benefit is that it will stop the top clubs (us included) stockpiling players that don't play but would walk into another Prem's starting 11. Overall this should improve the quality of the league.

However it will fail to produce more homegrown players for the reasons people point out. It's a shame the rule makers aren't as clever as we are :-)

Can't all be as blessed as us blue mooners.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.