In-swinging corner kicks more dangerous?

Not only do I think the in-swinging corners (the very few we actually do) more often lead to goal-scoring opportunities but also that they far more seldom lead to break-down chances for the opponents. During City matches and the few others I care to see I have lately done a very unscientific 10-second check; where is the ball ten seconds after the corner is taken. Frighteningly often (in our cases after the usual out-swinger) it is past the centre-line with some eager opponent heading towards our goal.

It seems to me we just don't care too much. We so often dominate the possession in our games we simply can't be arsed being fully concentrated on all our corners. I'd love to see one game with Kolarov and Yaya only taking in-swinging corners like they were free-kicks - hard and precise into the box.

corners are massively overrated, the amount of goals they directly lead to, percentage wise, is low. Also, they can leave you exposed on the break occasionally.

Considering we've now played 50% of the season and it's obvious to all that we are basically no threat when pumping a corner into the box, we should either a) practice a variety of short corner set pieces or b) simply go short and work the ball back to midfield to retain possession which is what City love to do anyway.

The 2nd option would look very negative to begin with but it wold ensure the ball stayed with us.

I don't see why we don't place one of our faster players on the half way line also while defending corners, annoys me to see one of our smaller players like Sergio or Jesus in the box, stick them on the half way line, drag a couple of defenders back with them and use their pace to hit the opposition on the break. Over all I feel our set piece work is quite poor, only Yaya's free kicks seem to have any effect anymore.

we have gone from the team that scored most from corners to the team that cant find a man from a corners, we cant practise corners, the season we are crap at them.

Our corners are now that bad that i'm disappointed when we get a corner as i wish it had gone out for a goalkick because i reckon we're more likely to score when getting the ball back from a gk than from one of our pathetic corners.

We've conceded more goals from our own corners this season than we've scored!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.