Marvin said:
gio's side step said:
How many 'clear cut' chances did we create? Not half chances

How many?
Tevez's goal
AJ's chance in 1st half which he put wide
Milner's cleared off the line
Tevez when he went clean through and dragged shot wide

And then there were a lot of half chances, or situations where we were in and around the area but messed up with the final ball / shot.

I don't think you understand what a 'clear cut' chance is. Tevez's shot wide and Johnson's in the first half were not 'clear cut', they were half chances. Clear cut chances are where the forward SHOULD score, not HOPE to score. Tevez was only just in side the box, with a hell of a lot to do, marked tight. Johnson again was outside the box one on one. Those are not clear cut chances. The disallowed goal was a clear cut chance, as was Milner's.

In fact, we haven't created much more than 2 or 3 clear cut chances in most games. And that is because we are set up far too narrow. The top sides create far more clear cut chances over a sustained period. For those who don't like ambiguous debate. Just look at the stats. Figures. Look at our goals scored compared to all the other teams in the top 10.

Whils't the defence is excellent, we can't win enough games playing with that shape at home with those players in those positions

gio's side step said:
Marvin said:
Tevez's goal

And then there were a lot of half chances, or situations where we were in and around the area but messed up with the final ball / shot.

I don't think you understand what a 'clear cut' chance is. Tevez's shot wide and Johnson's in the first half were not 'clear cut', they were half chances. Clear cut chances are where the forward SHOULD score, not HOPE to score. Tevez was only just in side the box, with a hell of a lot to do, marked tight. Johnson again was outside the box one on one. Those are not clear cut chances. The disallowed goal was a clear cut chance, as was Milner's.

In fact, we haven't created much more than 2 or 3 clear cut chances in most games. And that is because we are set up far too narrow. The top sides create far more clear cut chances over a sustained period. For those who don't like ambiguous debate. Just look at the stats. Figures. Look at our goals scored compared to all the other teams in the top 10.

Whils't the defence is excellent, we can't win enough games playing with that shape at home with those players in those positions

I'd question whether most teams create significantly more clear cut chances than that, given your definition of the term.

When you're a good team with good players, you should 1) be converting the majority of your 'clear cut' chances and 2) also be looking to bag some goals that weren't 'sitters' e.g. long shots, individual skill. We're not doing either at the moment.

gio's side step said:
Marvin said:
Tevez's goal

Tevez's goal couldn't be a much more clear-cut chance

All clear goal-scoring opportunities. Whether they were "clear-cut" is a bit pedantic

I didn't claim that City created loads of clear opportunities. Birmingham came and parked the bus, and we struggled to break them down. fair play to them. We need to improve. But can I point to the injuries to Tevez, Adebayor and the suspension of Balotelli? Yiu can't just dismiss that, and teams, especially news one do have dips in form. We played a Derby on Weds. That was a factor as well

ThreeTeamSupporter said:
gio's side step said:

I'd question whether most teams create significantly more clear cut chances than that, given your definition of the term.

When you're a good team with good players, you should 1) be converting the majority of your 'clear cut' chances and 2) also be looking to bag some goals that weren't 'sitters' e.g. long shots, individual skill. We're not doing either at the moment.

I wasn't suggesting we should, would or could create 12 clear cut chances per game. But we should be playing in a way at home that provides the platform for us being more likely to create clear cut chances than not. Of course we should score scruffy goals, long shots, individual skill (balotelli 2nd goal at west brom, tevez home against chelsea, silva away at blackpool, silva winning the pen at west brom, tevez goal after a mistake against wigan away) but we should also be getting into regular positions at home where clear cut chances are inevitible. Unfortunately, the narrow shape, and slow tempo is taking the sting out of a lot of attacks, sucking the life out of the atmosphere, which in turn makes us very tentative. We don't get in behind the opposing side enough to cut the ball back. Don't make the opposition defence turn back to their own goal enough. Cutting in side regularly, passing it square allows their defence to constantly survey everything in front of them. And makes it much easier to defend against. Unless we had Messi. But we don't.

Marvin said:
gio's side step said:

All clear goal-scoring opportunities. Whether they were "clear-cut" is a bit pedantic

I didn't claim that City created loads of clear opportunities. Birmingham came and parked the bus, and we struggled to break them down. fair play to them. We need to improve. But can I point to the injuries to Tevez, Adebayor and the suspension of Balotelli? Yiu can't just dismiss that, and teams, especially news one do have dips in form. We played a Derby on Weds. That was a factor as well

Your wasting your time fella-they want Mancini out,hes shit according to some on here.

Lets get the 85 year old Hiddink in-you never know he might just win us a Carling Cup final in his two seasons at the club before he retires to Knott End.

flb said:
Marvin said:

Your wasting your time fella-they want Mancini out,hes shit according to some on here.

Lets get the 85 year old Hiddink in-you never know he might just win us a Carling Cup final in his two seasons at the club before he retires to Knott End.

Bravo. Well done for your 12 year old little nothing point. I didn't say I wanted him out. I have never said that. Do debate the topic at hand. I encourage you to. Don't just waste people's time with silly little 'ill wipe your arse because you are a fellow blue with a forza mancini tattoo' crap.

gio's side step said:
ThreeTeamSupporter said:

I wasn't suggesting we should, would or could create 12 clear cut chances per game. But we should be playing in a way at home that provides the platform for us being more likely to create clear cut chances than not. Of course we should score scruffy goals, long shots, individual skill (balotelli 2nd goal at west brom, tevez home against chelsea, silva away at blackpool, silva winning the pen at west brom, tevez goal after a mistake against wigan away) but we should also be getting into regular positions at home where clear cut chances are inevitible. Unfortunately, the narrow shape, and slow tempo is taking the sting out of a lot of attacks, sucking the life out of the atmosphere, which in turn makes us very tentative. We don't get in behind the opposing side enough to cut the ball back. Don't make the opposition defence turn back to their own goal enough. Cutting in side regularly, passing it square allows their defence to constantly survey everything in front of them. And makes it much easier to defend against. Unless we had Messi. But we don't.

Our striker on Saturday wasnt at the races and to be fair Birminhgam defended well.

We created plenty going forward just like we did v Sunderland,Blackburn etc.

There isnt that much wrong with how we are playing-apart from the tempo whivh will come as the seasons gets on.<br /><br />-- Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:44 am --<br /><br />
gio's side step said:
flb said:

Bravo. Well done for your 12 year old little nothing point. I didn't say I wanted him out. I have never said that. Do debate the topic at hand. I encourage you to. Don't just waste people's time with silly little 'ill wipe your arse because you are a fellow blue with a forza mancini tattoo' crap.

WOW

The decisions in the main were positive from Wednesday, Johnson coming in for Barry is surely attack minded.

Swapping left backs due to fitness surely isn't negative.

Bringing on a sttiker for Milner on the face of is positive as well.

So the only contentious one is taking Tevez of for Barry, Tevez looked fitter than he did on Wednesday but was clearly having a mare of a day, with Adebayor injured and Mario suspended the only like for like option was Jo which most agree is a non option int he real world.

the one thing everyone seems to agree on is how bloody slow we move the ball forward, its almost as if we give sides 30 seconds to get into there defensive positions before we venture towards their box, resulting with the long range shots and relying on individual skill to score reather than collectively breaking teams down with pasing/movement.

Whilst not convinced that Mancini is the best thing since sliced bread I partially assured that despite the perception of us playing crap we are still in touching distance of 2nd and 3rd, and optimistic enough to hope to see more from the attacking side of the game as we get players back and their spend more time out in the middle together.

If we have a crap Season and comfortable finish in the top four then I am sure the big cheese will be happy as its vital to complying with the FPP rules.

I went on Wednesday and Saturday and was just as disappointed as everyone else but we did not get beat.
Having then watched Sunderland yesterday against Chelsea I ask myself where
are we going wrong.

I agree with the OP, Tevez can not play as a loan striker, he plays too deep for this role which possibly causes the team to sit deep or run out of options when we try to make a break.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.