Inflation - when is this going to end?

Lockdowns en masse and accompanying monetary policy created inflation, yes.
It’s not so much lockdowns that have caused inflation - there are countries who didn’t lockdown who have seen higher inflation than some that did - it’s the pandemic in general.

Plus in a pandemic in a populous country with a large population density per Sq mile with finite health service capacity, you can’t really not lockdown at some stage. Not doing so is too much of a risk… that’s the fault of the virus, not the lockdown itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you'll find that CPI was 5.5% in February, before the invasion, if you do some research.

I think you'll find that UK wholesale gas prices have been increasing since we came out of lockdown in summer 2021, if you do some research.

The war has obviously not helped.
And I think you'll find the UK doesn't set wholesale gas prices.

I think you'll find that CPI was 5.5% in February, before the invasion, if you do some research.

I think you'll find that UK wholesale gas prices have been increasing since we came out of lockdown in summer 2021, if you do some research.

The war has obviously not helped.
We came out of an eight week lockdown on 5th March 2021 (4th March 2021 was the final day we were ever in lockdown). We didn’t have a lockdown up to Summer 2021.

We also never had a true lockdown here in Britain.

Last edited by a moderator:
So 25% inflation wasn’t as bad as 10%?
25%??? Where did you get that figure from? My memory of that era was some rough times but nothing like today. My parents didn't have lots of money but I never remember them scared to put the heating on, or say they couldn't afford food. We still got our holiday once a year in a caravan somewhere. So no my recollection is this period is much worse.

25%??? Where did you get that figure from? My memory of that era was some rough times but nothing like today. My parents didn't have lots of money but I never remember them scared to put the heating on, or say they couldn't afford food. We still got our holiday once a year in a caravan somewhere. So no my recollection is this period is much worse.
Think it peaked early 80s at about 18% we were kids so not sure we paid much attention to our parents struggles but I'm sure it wasn't easy for them.

Think it peaked early 80s at about 18% we were kids so not sure we paid much attention to our parents struggles but I'm sure it wasn't easy for them.

I remember it being around 14% at one point in the late eighties. I bought my house in 1992 and I got a three year fixed rate deal of 8.99% for the first year and 9.90% for the next two years and that was considered good, so it must have been high.

Just shows how ignorant you can be of history.
Interest rates reached 18% in the 80s.
Inflation in 1975 however reached 25%.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.