Injury Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
More bizarre that Ake did not make the team at the end of last season more like.
I'm pretty sure Ake was also playing with an injury. He went off injured in one game (Leeds?), and looked in pain quite a few times when he did play. I think it was mentioned at some point by Pep - I vaguely remember him describing having something like two and a half defenders, and I think Ake was the half as he wasn't really able to play.

I'm pretty sure Ake was also playing with an injury. He went off injured in one game (Leeds?), and looked in pain quite a few times when he did play. I think it was mentioned at some point by Pep - I vaguely remember him describing having something like two and a half defenders, and I think Ake was the half as he wasn't really able to play.
I thought that to but a few days after the end of the season he played 90 mins for his country, that confused everything.

Wasn't Ake injured too?

He definitely missed some games, and was on the bench for matches where he was only really going to come on in an extreme emergency. I assume he was a bigger risk than Laporte.

Surprised this is big news today as it was reported that he had surgery over a week ago, and that it was unlikely he'd be fit to start the season.
How could Ake have been a 'bigger risk' than Laporte when the latter required surgery?

I think Laporte played through the pain barrier big time in those last few matches, because we had literally no one else fit. We owe him a lot for that and he should be allowed to recuperate fully now, with no rushing, I’m sure he will be.
Seem to remember we rushed Laporte back a couple of seasons ago to play against Madrid. Set him back loads.

How could Ake have been a 'bigger risk' than Laporte when the latter required surgery?
You're assuming we know Laporte required surgery before the end of the season? Or maybe Laporte had something small that caused pain but wasn't likely to get worse, and had less effect in games than whatever injury Ake had?

This is what I read:
---------------
Aymeric Laporte hasn’t travelled to the United States for this tour and he is unlikely to be fit enough to be involved when the games start to matter.

The Spain defender battled through the final games of last season, shrugging off a muscle injury in the final stages of the Champions League semi-final against Real Madrid and then a bad-looking knee injury against Wolves to make sure City weren’t left short for their crucial last two league games.

He could not train between matches and felt it difficult to move when he did play, and his heroic efforts came at the cost of a small procedure at Dr Ramon Cugat’s Barcelona clinic soon after City lifted the trophy again.
----------------

Laporte's injury was serious enough to require surgery but with careful management and a lot of determination he was physically able to play.

Perhaps Aké's injury was less serious but had a bigger impact on his mobility short term, and aggravating it might have meant he flat-out couldn't continue.

If I recall correctly Aké's injury was his ankle - I've sprained an ankle before and it made my foot swell to twice its size and I couldn't get a shoe on it. Not a long term problem or requiring surgery but for a couple of weeks even after the swelling went down it was liable to blow up again at the slightest twist or knock.

I don't know exactly what Laporte's knee issue was but it seems the club saw it as something easier to manage/less likely to become unusable mid-match than Ake's.

Agreed with what others have said, though, Laporte was a total warrior at the end of last season and I hope we remember it.

He definitely had a knock right at the end of the season.
But with playing for his country it can't of been that bad, especially with the news about Laporte and with no Walker, Dias, Stones and Fern playing with no legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.