Inter Fans Loved Mancini

hbruz80 said:
When we play all three, then yes we are better defensively, but my point is that we suffer as we cannot link midfield to attack, and our play becomes disjointed not the fluid style that everyone on here craves. I am sorry but i just do not feel that are central midfield is good enough to both defend and attack (something which is essential for all top sides). Just trying to stop the opposition from playing is not good enough for the type of side we want to be. Interesting point about Barry and Ireland not being able to play well with each other, if it is true then it is worrying as we already lack options in the middle of the park.

I think that this linking between the different phases of play is a big problem for us, and one of the reasons why we slow the play down. More times than I can count, I've seen Toure, Given and others having the ball, looking around and complaining that they don't have an option to pass to. As we don't have that link, Ireland is on his own or too deep to be a nuisance, and Barry/De Jong are too concerned with their defensive duties to play this game. This results in us either hitting it long to Ade, who cannot reasonably be asked to shield a ball from 4 players, or using our widemen. One of the reasons why SWP, Bellamy and Johnson have looked so good, is that if we see that they are able to beat the fullbacks, we provide constant service to them and it makes us too one-dimensional. I honestly can't remember the last time we scored from movement through the centre, perhaps the Blackburn game.

I agree about De Jong's spirit, but I am afraid at this level that alone is not sufficient. I am not saying that he does not do a lot of things well, but a central midfield player has to be able to pass the ball very well, and he just cannot do it. Whenever he gets the ball his first instinct is to turn and face our defence and pass it back to them, we need more than that if we are to compete with the big boys!

If we are competing at a Champions Legaue level, I can see your point, but our current rivals are Spurs, Villa and Liverpool and De Jong is a case of 'good enough for now' rather than somebody who will be a lynchpin of our team for many years. Either way, he does bring the extra against the lower teams that is needed, and it can't hurt to have him around the squad.

Again, I just do not think that we can afford to have one player who can only defend, and one who can only attack and have someone to link the play between them. That is fine for a mid table team or even a top 6 side, but if we want to compete for the title and do well in Europe, we need players who can pass the ball. Not just simple 10 yard passes, but move the ball from one side of the pitch to the other, players who can play 40 yard diagonal balls and actually create chances and most importantly players who can keep possession of the ball. It is easy to criticise players like Adebayor for not doing enough, but he needs good service, if we can create chances, he will put them away. Essien, Lampard (for Chelsea, not England), Ballack, Gerard (despite a poor season), Mascherano, Fabregas are top midfield players, the players we have cannot compete with them, and when we look at the next best, Carrick, Fletcher, Milner, Modric, without blue tinted specs on, at least on this season's performances, I struggle to add De Jong, Barry and Ireland to that list.

Viera seems to do okay with those types of balls that you mention, but apart from him, I'm looking through the squad at who else can play them. Perhaps with some more investment in the summer, we can solve these problems. One of the heartening things, is that Mancini obviously tried to address this in the transfer window with the near signings of Big Mac and Gago. Although those transfers didn't come off, for whatever reason, the fact that he is trying to strengthen this part of the pitch gives you hope for the future.

He's not managing a team in Italy though, so i can't see how it's relevant,i'm sure the Brazilians love Scolari but i bet the cockneys don't.
A lot was made while Hughes was in charge infact it became an obsession that he had never had "big" success with an English team & how that really should be the type of manager we are hiring,short memories eh!

bluemanc said:
He's not managing a team in Italy though, so i can't see how it's relevant,i'm sure the Brazilians love Scolari but i bet the cockneys don't.
A lot was made while Hughes was in charge infact it became an obsession that he had never had "big" success with an English team & how that really should be the type of manager we are hiring,short memories eh!

Show me where people had an obsession with Hughes not having success with an "english" team and i won't call you a liar who is on a mission to get rid of Mancini. It was any success not english.

Immaculate Pasta said:
bluemanc said:

Show me where people had an obsession with Hughes not having success with an "english" team and i won't call you a liar who is on a mission to get rid of Mancini. It was any success not english.
Are you taking the piss, mr memory-loss?

Don't care what some people say. I like the guy.

Once he gets players that can play better in his system we will be a much better team.

the talisman said:
Freestyler said:
In the summer it will be a straight swap, Bobby for Jose.

i keep seeing this on the forum, is it just opinion or did it start with a "itk" rumour?

just curious that's all

More of a large assumption really, Mourinho himself keeps going on about a return to the Premier League, yet i can't figure out except us who he'd go to, because we are a perfect starting point for him to form a quality side. Already top 6, unlimited money, hunger for success.. its all there.

Joycee Banercheck said:
Immaculate Pasta said:
Are you taking the piss, mr memory-loss?

Show me then, it wasn't that long ago, the posts should still be on the forum and remember it was ANY success not ENGLISH success.

Sometimes I feel embarrassed reading posts on here. Mourinho will not be coming to City so please let us give Mancini a fair crack at the whip. If he gets us into the Champions League playing Italian style footy, he will certainly get my vote.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.