Inter Milan (N) | Champions League Final | Post Match Thread

Just got back. Knackered and still can’t believe it ..: sorry if I missed this but what happened in the first half … did someone fall ill at the front ?

OK much more calm now. Treble? Amazing!!

I saw the game again, we were not as bad as I thought we were while watching the game yesterday.
We were mediocre at best overall, but very solid defensively. Last 7-8 minutes where we were very tired they had some good chances and we made some errors but it's normal.

But as Henry said(that impressed me with his views yesterday), "You don't play the finals, you win them!".
And that's what we did.

Inter a great performance, very very solid, amazing running from all the players covering whole pitch excellently, tactically brilliant, but wasn't enough. They could have won too, or could have lost 2-0 or it could go to overtime.
I think we were a bit better overall though and it's just the last 7-8 minutes that gives the impression that it was a 50-50 game.

Ederson 9/10. Some stupid mistakes initially at 1st half but when we needed him he was there with some very good saves and moments.
Akanji 7/10. He was solid overall but made 2 crucial mistakes that could cost us and after that he made some other errors that they never exploited offensively.
Dias 10/10. A pure leader. Not only he was excellent but was constantly was giving this mentality of calmness and awareness to the whole team.
Ake 9/10. Excellent. He was solid behind and tried to combine with Jack normally but Jack couldn't do it.
Stones 10/10. He was amazing. Amazing performance!
Rodri 7/10. Very nervous and slow in the 1st half, with some uncharacteristic mistakes also, but he improved a lot in the 2nd and gave countless solutions defensively and was the usual link to the offence too. Calm enough to score that goal with technique and not trying to just use power to kick the ball.
Gundogun 7/10. Not the usual Gungo, 1st half he was too slow and nervous but 2nd half improved. He did many little things in the pitch, but nothing worked for him offensively.
KDB 6/10. Very nervous too with some bad crosses and touches, but whole team struggled to find good crosses yesterday.
Foden 8/10. He got inside with good energy pressing everywhere and he made some good tries, he could have scored that if he was thinking a bit more clearly but it's ok he was very good.
Grealish 5/10. He tried but whenever his touched the ball he immediately had to face 2 defenders. So it's not his fault entirely that he couldn't do anything.
Haaland 6/10. He was good overall in defending and pressing but got lost inside Inter's countless defenders. He has the excuse of course that he did not get fed at all.
Silva 8/10. Very active, run a lot, defensively huge, but offensively not that great as coverings from Inter were instant and had to deal with 2 players every time, yet he managed to create some issues and in the single time he found space we scored.
Walker 8/10. Didn't play much but he covered the space well enough when he got in. Of course in the last minutes it was crazy game and he missed his man inside the chaos in our area twice but it's ok.
A very fair assessment mate.

If we can win the Community Shield v Arsenal, the Super Cup v Sevilla, the Club World Cup in December and then the Carabao Cup in February, we will be the current holders of all 7 competitions. Just saying :) Not as far-fetched as it sounds, considering we are already in the ‘Final’ of two of them and the Semi Final of the Club World Cup. Imagine.

We could care less for these UEFA/FIFA super/world cup shit. OK super cup is one game in Summer so it's fine, but the other thing is a nonsense tournament where our players will have another chance to get even more tired, spend even more energy and make their hunt for more meaningful tittles later on harder. I say rest the starting lineup in that stupid club world cup shit.

It's 1998 and I'm driving back to Derby (where I lived then) from Maine Road where we had lost again - I think it was Bury or Port Vale - can't remember the details. I stopped in a layby before the GMR reception went and listened to Jimmy Wagg talking to James H Reeve. The conversation was very dark and we all knew it would get worse. It's been a fantastic ride since then - we all know the milestones - Gillingham, Blackburn etc. The club has changed so much - but the constant thing is the strength of the fans - the darkest moments bring out the best - whether its relegation or facing up to the ridiculous actions of EUFA and the PL. Last night was another milestone and the way the club is functioning now we will go from strength to strength. What a journey - it's real Roy of the Rovers stuff and I feel so blessed to have been a part of it. The club, the coach and the players have done us proud - I don't think I will see the like of it again. I won't forget the times of struggle because that's what makes today so good. Well done City - we have fought against all the odds and it was fitting that last night was such an epic struggle - it's what we do and the media and cartel clubs can wallow in their angst. So proud of Pep and the players for delivering last night - what more can I say?
No need you said it all perfectly.

Arrived back today, had phone stolen out there and apparently someone has called my emergency contact for 500 dollars to return. Obviously reported to police, but some memories not backed up so it’s annoying. Anyway what a great trip, met some fantastic fans out there, what a time to be a blue!

Quite enjoyed it but I chewed my fingernails down to the elbow in the last 10 minutes.
Two early chances wasted and why didn't Phil just bladder the thing when he had a great chance soon after Rodders gave us the lead?
Great saves from Eddie, solid performances from the defence though Akanji dropped a couple of bollocks, Dias superb and Johnny, Johnny Stones was magnificent.
I felt we showed the rags too much respect at Wembley and the same applied last night. The first half against Real Madrid shows what we are capable of.
But we've picked up three major trophies in the last few weeks and are clearly the best team in the land and all the world. That's quite handy as we already have a song for it.
And for any lurking Chavs and Villa: Champions of Europe, we know what we are.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.