Interesting YT Conversations...

Sorry, just want to come back to this a sec.

There's a question about who can play 'Othello' and the White actors thought it would be 'insensitive'.

I think this is crazy, much like the argument on here about who can play 'Bond'.

For me, you can change everything about a story except the arc of its intention.

In that way, it remains the main body of the story, always, even if different in name.

The world of fantasy is just that, it's a world of fantasy and if someone plays a part well and it sells then nobody should have a problem with it. However cultural appropriation has to swing both ways or be removed in its entirety if not it just looks bad.
A black Bond would be fine as long as the said Bond fits the suave remit for the character, as would a white or Chinese Shaft, hairdo permitting.

The world of fantasy is just that, it's a world of fantasy and if someone plays a part well and it sells then nobody should have a problem with it. However cultural appropriation has to swing both ways or be removed in its entirety if not it just looks bad.
A black Bond would be fine as long as the said Bond fits the suave remit for the character, as would a white or Chinese Shaft, hairdo permitting.

Yeah, I have no problem with a Chinese 'Shaft' as long as the settings suit the new direction, same with any demographic change.

I stumbled upon this actually, as I like Joe Rogan(but don't always listen to his the horseshit that happens in his podcasts) and had dozed off off and woke at a very interesting section with Russell Brand(it's not a Brand love in, honestly). This small part (11 mins-ish or more of you want to listen to it) is about the balance of society's poor vs capitalism...

It's rare that I can watch/ listen to a discussion/ debate that really draws me in, but this is one of them...

You wouldn't have caught me listening to Candace Owens normally, but this vid has been in my eye line for a few days and I took the plunge tonight.

I found that I don't quite disagree with some of the same she says, but I disagree with some of her conclusions and agree with others(a bit like Brand in some cases).

10%-15% of me disapproves of some of what he says.

10%-15% of me approves of some of what she says.

Really quite interesting for me to know I have conservative leanings somewhere along the line.

So let me post a psychologists thoughts on why you have 'Conservative' leanings

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/...y-liberal-hearts-bleed-and-conservatives-dont

see if you recognise any traits ... because to vote Conservative if you're working class is like paying for your own ticket to Dignitas

Not really a 'conversation', but a really really interesting exercise. Wasn't even aware of it (maybe cos I hate the tw@ that is Krishnan Guru-Murthy!).
Aired 10 years ago on Ch4.
Sit through it, don't sit through it, I thought it was extremely fascinating, myself.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.