Invincibles? I hate doing this but....

The Premier League, VAR and match officials will stop that from happening

Anfield, Old Trafford, Emirates, Spurs Stadium, We would have to play at our very best 100% Perfect, even then you know something would be handed to them teams to help them.

It's the only thing left to achieve and prove we are the best ever

I always love these posts. The PL can’t stop us winning 6 titles in 7 years, can’t stop us going on 20, 30 match winning runs, can’t make us lose a home game in 2 years, can’t stop us winning a treble or being the first English club in history to win all 4 domestic comps, but this is where you think they’ll draw the line.

‘The Invincibles’ was a truly remarkable achievement but it was a freak, and once the finish line was in sight not losing became more important to Arsenal than winning, which is a complete anathema to Pep.

The fact it has only happened twice in 140 years is telling. All teams have off days, just as all teams in the PL are capable of raising their game on occasion. That, happenstance and poor refereeing mean it’s so unlikely over 38 games at this level it’s not worth wasting emotional energy on. At least not until the clocks go forward.

I really don’t think PNE deserves to even be in this conversation - if league seasons were still 22 games long with 7+ days between each match (including cup games) we’d have had a dozen invincible teams by now at least.

The achievement is just not comparable to remaining unbeaten in a 38 game season with 25 cup games midweek at the same time.

It’s still noteworthy for its time, and they were the only ones to do it, but it’s not worth bringing into a debate about a club doing the feat in 2003 or 2025.

Totally correct pep would never send a team out to draw. A great achievement but some of those arsenal performances were shite playing against relegation fodder for a point.
Only way we could replicate it would be shattering the centurions record of either getting 114 points or very close to with a couple of unlucky draws at the likes of Anfield or those tag twats & probably so unexpected 1-1’s at the Everton’s or wolves where we have 20+ shots score once & their only shot sails in ;)
This is exactly how a City Invincible season would come around, you're spot on. People saying we can never do it because we don't play for a draw are missing the point... the Centurions season was two games off of Invincible. If we ever do it, we'll do it on somewhere around 102 - 106 points.

That's not to say I think it's likely, it's more likely not to happen, but it's not impossible, and not playing for draws doesn't actually harm our chances, for us it helps them... *if* we are on top of our game as we were in 2017-18. I agree with OP that we have one of the strongest squads we've had, at the very least on paper, with the additions we've made so far. The other contenders being the Centurions, and then the UCL Winners.

If we manage to bring in a backup option for Haaland before the deadline that seals it as strongest, again that's on paper. It's also worth noting that we seem to be closer to the style of play of the 2017-18 season now than we have been in more recent years. Could be an omen, could not.

I'd love it if we did it, no doubt we all would. We can still have a great season without it though.

overrated narrative/marketing...a team with 36W/2D has one point less than a team with 37W/1L

I have to say that in my opinion, this seems to me to be the best squad we have ever had.

I am willing to predict that we will come very close to going the whole season unbeaten. Our strength is phenomenal and Pep really does seem to be on top of his game.

I know its by no means a certainty but looking at the strength of our squad and the that of the opposition I just cannot see anyone getting close to us. The likelihood of us getting overturned will be by a lower struggling team as opposed to any of the big guns.

I hope I haven't jinxed us but we really do have strength all over the place, brilliant cover and a fantastic group of youngsters eager to get involved.

Most importantly what we have which I think will deliver for us is.... a settled squad that is regularly and comfortably rotated.

are you from arsenal fan tv?

Interesting reading a little bit about Preston’s ‘Invincibles’ The nickname was actually first given to them years before they even entered the Football League. Never mind won it.

Not as compliment but almost as suggestion that they were cheating or disrespecting the game by paying the players a wage. While most other teams were still fully amateur.

Interesting reading a little bit about Preston’s ‘Invincibles’ The nickname was actually first given to them years before they even entered the Football League. Never mind won it.

Not as compliment but almost as suggestion that they were cheating or disrespecting the game by paying the players a wage. While most other teams were still fully amateur.

Yes that’s correct, the sentiment was more “of course they’re ‘invincible’ - their full time job is winning football matches.”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.