Invincibles? I hate doing this but....

For me three things would need to happen to even have a decent run at it.

Firstly and most obviously you’d have to get to New Year unbeaten. Don’t think we’ve ever come close to that have we?

Then you’d have to get dumped out of the cups early. Particularly the Champions League. That’s probably increasingly unlikely under the new seedings system.

Finally, you need someone to stick with you for the vast majority of the season. That happened with Arsenal because of all their draws. But in the 100 point season, even though we weren’t unbeaten, the title race was as good as over by about February.
Unbeaten up until the Liverpool match in 17/18.

To be fair, as long as Rodri can stay injury free we stand a chance. Can’t rely on the standard are officiating not screwing us at least once though

Will be harder to remain unbeaten these days as the standard of PL clubs outside the top 3 has improved dramatically. Most clubs can beat any other club on their day and even relegation threatened sides are packed full of international players. City could lose to Arsenal/Liverpool but could also feasibly lose to Palace. The Arsenal Invincibles were never going to lose to the Palaces of the day, their jeopardy was trips to the Rags, Liverpool etc.

I’d rather lose one or two and get, say, 95 points, than go unbeaten but only get 90 points. The 95 points is a better achievement than 90 even if 90 came as unbeaten.

A few season back when Liverpool hadn’t lost a game for ages, I said that I’d love for them to go unbeaten all season but us still win the title having lost a couple of games.

Imagine if we went unbeaten this season but Arsenal won the league because they got more points. It wouldn’t be anything to celebrate at all for us.

I don’t think football should ever be viewed as being about not losing. I think it should always be about goals, wins and points.

Last edited:
It's a uniquely difficult thing to do. Every team has a wobble from time to time and that can lead to a loss. In league, you can get over it (and win the league) by doing well in the other games. Even in the Champions League, the group stage and two-legged nature of the knockouts gives you a chance to recover from a loss (only the final is 'do or die').

To go a season unbeaten leaves no real margin for error over 38 games. The FA cup and league cup are single legged knockouts, of course but the number of games required to win is far far lower (maybe 6 for the FA cup and teams go on a 6-game winning streak quite frequently).

Now, Arsenal famously did it whilst drawing loads of games so there was obviously a huge dose of luck in that as well as any one of those could easily have become a loss just with an unlucky bounce of the ball or deflection. Hence, whilst obviously possible to repeat it, it's probably unlikely.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.