Invincibles? I hate doing this but....

There's only one Invincibles mate!

Honest question - why do you believe this is the best City squad ever? Compare with last season, you've lost Alvarez and KDB/Walker have another year in their legs. Is it because some of the young lads will have more experience and minutes?

I have to say I was expecting/hoping for City to drop levels vs last season however what I've seen of them so far this season I've not detected any drop at all - they've just picked off where they left last season.
You may be invincables but you were boring that season. You played for a draw in plenty of games and you got 12. Also shut up shop when you went 1-0 up in several games.

Boring boring Arsenal; )

How do you think they would fair against us?
Very hard to say as with today's rules Vieira would be a walking red card. What I would say is that if you transposed some of that side to today then if you did a current City/Arsenal invincibles XI then I reckon it would look like this;

Ederson
Walker, Campbell, Stones, Cole
KDB, Pires, Rodri, Bergkamp
Henry, Haaland

F*ck me that's a side and a half! I've not even been able to find room for Foden or Vieira!

How one would fare against the other is so hard to judge.

I have to say that in my opinion, this seems to me to be the best squad we have ever had.

I am willing to predict that we will come very close to going the whole season unbeaten. Our strength is phenomenal and Pep really does seem to be on top of his game.

I know its by no means a certainty but looking at the strength of our squad and the that of the opposition I just cannot see anyone getting close to us. The likelihood of us getting overturned will be by a lower struggling team as opposed to any of the big guns.

I hope I haven't jinxed us but we really do have strength all over the place, brilliant cover and a fantastic group of youngsters eager to get involved.

Most importantly what we have which I think will deliver for us is.... a settled squad that is regularly and comfortably rotated.
Now, you’ve gone and done it!

Very hard to say as with today's rules Vieira would be a walking red card. What I would say is that if you transposed some of that side to today then if you did a current City/Arsenal invincibles XI then I reckon it would look like this;

Ederson
Walker, Campbell, Stones, Cole
KDB, Pires, Rodri, Bergkamp
Henry, Haaland

F*ck me that's a side and a half! I've not even been able to find room for Foden or Vieira!

How one would fare against the other is so hard to judge.
Foden for Pires.

And Grealish for Henry.
Please don't ever mention Jack Grealish and Thierry Henry in the same sentence again lol!

Foden for Pires though, well possibly, it does seem harsh to leave Foden out but Pires played on the left and in the middle Foden isn't getting in ahead of KDB or Bergkamp. An awesome sub to bring on though.

Last edited:
As an aside I did the same exercise but this time comparing the invincibles with the current Arsenal side and it's basically the Invincibles with Saliba swapped in for Keown. Possibly Saka for Ljungberg also. That's it. The rest are all invincibles. Many Arsenal fans are delusional thinking the current crop are all that, the invincibles team was far superior.

‘The Invincibles’ was a truly remarkable achievement but it was a freak, and once the finish line was in sight not losing became more important to Arsenal than winning, which is a complete anathema to Pep.

The fact it has only happened twice in 140 years is telling. All teams have off days, just as all teams in the PL are capable of raising their game on occasion. That, happenstance and poor refereeing mean it’s so unlikely over 38 games at this level it’s not worth wasting emotional energy on. At least not until the clocks go forward.
Totally correct pep would never send a team out to draw. A great achievement but some of those arsenal performances were shite playing against relegation fodder for a point.
Only way we could replicate it would be shattering the centurions record of either getting 114 points or very close to with a couple of unlucky draws at the likes of Anfield or those tag twats & probably so unexpected 1-1’s at the Everton’s or wolves where we have 20+ shots score once & their only shot sails in ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.