Irish Current Affairs.

My father shares your views, but in the South anyway, Sinn Feins success is due to the corruption of FF and the fucking non entity that is FG and labour.

The health service, high taxation/poor services, homelessness and the abomination of the housing market has driven younger voters who did not grow up in the troubles into SF. SF have also been clever an put front and centre good communicators with no historical link to the IRA. People like Mary Lou and Pierce Doherty are far more effective communicators than anything FG/FF have.
Sadly, all true.

I’ll drop this here. Could put it in a few different threads at this stage.
I think it a fair summation and shows that the guarantees to the unionist communities in the North that are afforded to them in the GFA, should they find themselves in the minority in the future, were never afforded to a minority of nationalists North of the gerrymandered border which guaranteed unionist power.

Unionism in the north east of the whole country would have been a much smaller minority as a whole, compared to the nationalist minority in the set up new state.

We down south know this and knew this when we overwhelmingly voted in favour of the GFA. We knew what the agreement meant going forward which is why I could never understand the UP (boycotting the D) being so against it. Against it until now that is, when it’s suddenly of use to them.

Reactions: mat
Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.