Irish Current Affairs.

They did indeed. Although it was during a rap about sport so maybe not so controversial e.g. One Irish international rugby team.

I believe it was regarding football and they have apologized

I believe it was regarding football and they have apologized

Turning out to have been quite the event - EIRE flag used to represent NI and a Neo-Nazi symbol on a Northern Soul float - wonder what we will find out next to make the hat-trick? Maybe the planes in the fly-by were loaned from NATO to pad out the size of our forces? Maybe photos of some special protection officers out the back of Buckingham Palace sharing a big spliff?

Today in 1973 was the day I was introduced to the troubles. As an 11 year old at school in Coleraine a bomb went off a mile away killing 6 pensioner's and injuring over 30. After first went off and people being evacuated to opposite end of the High st a 2nd went off few minutes later at that end. A day I'll never forget. I remember sitting in my friend's stairs sometime later as the adults talked in front home and his uncle (a fireman) talking about the carnage and putting body parts in bags. The guy who was charged with it later on went on to be mayor of the town. As numerous people have stated that's much better than him planting bombs and murdering pensioner's but kind of sticks in my throat a little. I live in London now and it's like the London bombers being elected mayor. Anyway as I say this was my introduction to a thing which was a constant in my life for decades. I went to Art and Design college in Belfast 1978-1982 then lived/worked in Londonderry 82-87 so it was something that was always there. Also in that time had good friends murdered and also good friends commit murder and charged with attempted murder. I'm glad that as a person I never felt the need to get involved in any terrorism although was approached plenty of times. Always remembering those 6 pensioner's who died on this day in 1973

Last edited:
Today in 1973 was the day I was introduced to the troubles. As an 11 year old at school in Coleraine a bomb went off a mile away killing 6 pensioner's and injuring over 30. After first went off and people being evacuated to opposite end of the High st a 2nd went off few minutes later at that end. A day I'll never forget. I remember sitting in my friend's stairs sometime later as the adults talked in front home and his uncle (a fireman) talking about the carnage and putting body parts in bags. The guy who was charged with it later on went on to be mayor of the town. As numerous people have stated that's much better than him planting bombs and murdering pensioner's but kind of sticks in my throat a little. I live in London now and it's like the London bombers being elected mayor. Anyway as I say this was my introduction to a thing which was a constant in my life for decades. I went to Art and Design college in Belfast 1978-1982 then lived/worked in Londonderry 82-87 so it was something that was always there. Also in that time had good friends murdered and also good friends commit murder and charged with attempted murder. I'm glad that as a person I never felt the need to get involved in any terrorism although was approached plenty of times. Always remembering those 6 pensioner's who died on this day in 1973

Powerful post - what would be your views on a united Ireland - I am from stock from Dublin and Belfast - Dublin on my Mums Mums side and Belfast on her Dads - I have seen a lot of issues when I was kid conflicting over the North South divide and have had ( albeit distant ) relatives in the past who suffered as a result. As I have become an old bugger and think about it I just feel that now is the time really - I'd be happy for us to take and accommodate any loyalists who want to remain as part of what will be left of the UK ( I expect Scotland to go their own way ) - just lets all forgive some misdeeds and get on with lives - its normally harking back to shite around the world that is the cause of issues - the future is where we are all going to live lets look there and not dwell on the past

just lets all forgive some misdeeds and get on with lives
See, back 1998 we had this wee thing called The Good Friday Agreement, which in a nutshell, is what you are suggesting…and 70 odd% of us over here agreed that’s what we should do.

So it’s already in place…except there’s a bunch of Tory cnuts and brexiteers who have either forgotten about it, or most likely don’t give a flying feck and are happy enough to ignore it.

There are mechanisms to deal with the unity issue….it’s not as if now is the time to consider it for the first time…..but feckin about with brexit and the ni protocol will just through us back 30-40 years

Powerful post - what would be your views on a united Ireland - I am from stock from Dublin and Belfast - Dublin on my Mums Mums side and Belfast on her Dads - I have seen a lot of issues when I was kid conflicting over the North South divide and have had ( albeit distant ) relatives in the past who suffered as a result. As I have become an old bugger and think about it I just feel that now is the time really - I'd be happy for us to take and accommodate any loyalists who want to remain as part of what will be left of the UK ( I expect Scotland to go their own way ) - just lets all forgive some misdeeds and get on with lives - its normally harking back to shite around the world that is the cause of issues - the future is where we are all going to live lets look there and not dwell on the past
To be honest I'm against it but if the democracy votes for it then it has to be. Not sure that will bring peace though as imo the sides will change. I'm happy to look to a peaceful future for all. As a side note to my original post when reading about memorial stone laid to remember the Coleraine bomb. I was reminded the brother of Coleraine bomber also murdered my friend Valerie in the Ballykelly bombing.

This being the Protocol Johnson and the Dinosaur Deniers want scrapping because it is damaging - its that alright because it might reveal the disastrous effects of Brexit elsewhere in the UK

Trade North to south up 70% and South to north up 50% and Northern Ireland economy outperforming anywhere else in the UK,….
but the Protocol is the problem that will bring down the GFA apparently.
The GFA that the DUP never supported and have tried to bring down up until now. Now they are so concerned about it.

Trade North to south up 70% and South to north up 50% and Northern Ireland economy outperforming anywhere else in the UK,….
but the Protocol is the problem that will bring down the GFA apparently.
The GFA that the DUP never supported and have tried to bring down up until now. Now they are so concerned about it.
So my understanding is that the Government are passing a bill to remove the customs process between the mainland and NI. That will allow goods to move from mainland UK to Ireland unchecked and without any customs process. In turn that puts the EU in an impossible position. Either let it go and have a non member trading with the EU as a member would. Or, insist on customs on the NI border with the EU and trash the GFA provisions.
Have I got that right?

All that against a background that our Government signed the current agreement around the protocol very recently.
What are your thoughts on how this will play out. Surely external pressure particularly from the states will help stop it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.