Irish Current Affairs.

Lot of respect shown by almost every one involved in the visit of the King to Hillsborough castle and St Anne's yesterday. I have spent quite a lot of time working in Hillsborough castle over the last few years and great to see it look so well in such sad circumstances. I like quite a few others quick to judge and slag off people for their lack of respect so hats off to everyone yesterday and over the last few days

Lot of respect shown by almost every one involved in the visit of the King to Hillsborough castle and St Anne's yesterday. I have spent quite a lot of time working in Hillsborough castle over the last few years and great to see it look so well in such sad circumstances. I like quite a few others quick to judge and slag off people for their lack of respect so hats off to everyone yesterday and over the last few days
Were there any geographically challenged scousers there looking for a memorial?

Kind of showed what it could be like with a little trust.

Reactions: ob
I kind of have theory that it’s not just Brexit and the supposed difficulties it poses for trade in The North, that has Donaldson and co. holding up the assembly.
It is precisely the realisation that they are now, not the majority party and it is quite feasible that they as a community may be a significant minority in his lifetime.
He would gladly take his seat in Westminster as he has more sway with a Tory government over there than he is likely to have in Stormont sharing an assembly.

They never signed up to the GFA and would gladly tear it up and go back to the good old days, which are never returning for them and ironically the GFA is the only guarantee they have of determination of their future.

They really are a one trick pony.

The Shinners won’t take up their seats in Westminster and have no sway if things remain like that.

I wish they would, but understand the oath of allegiance to the crown being a stumbling block.

This is why in the monarchy thread I alluded to changes I wish Britain had made constitutionally when we took articles 2 & 3 out of our constitution.
We recognise the right of Unionist/Nationalists to remain citizens of the UK or of Ireland or of both in the future. The British unwritten constitution as it stands is if nothing else ‘Sectarian’, but it doesn’t afford dual citizenship to citizens of the North.
Nationalist still pledge themselves to the crown when elected to Westminster. Now it was never going to change with the Queen alive, but if now isn’t the time to talk about constitutional change, then when is?

Edit: Amended articles 2 &3.

Last edited:
All this tells me is that it time to move forward as an equal society and hold those in power to account. The majority of Protestants and Catholics only want peace and prosperity in the north. You will always get a few bigoted unionists and a few gloating nationalists.

It’s time the country went into duel citizenship and moved away from the green & orange poison. If the Dup or the Shinners can’t manage that then fuck them both off. That old saying of follow the money still rings through and both parties benefit a lot from division.

Dup have buried their head in the sand for too long and tbf to the Shinners, seem to be trying to reach out to the unionists and create a new way forward for all. The respect paid towards the Queen was a step in the right direction.

This article further emphasises my issue with the fact that people still assume Catholic = Nationalist and Protestant = Unionist.

Many people will have stated they were a Catholic/Protestant on the census for because thats what they were born into...yet a large proportion of them are neither practicing, nor align their "religion" with their politics.

My "religion" does not reflect political persuasion.

This article further emphasises my issue with the fact that people still assume Catholic = Nationalist and Protestant = Unionist.

Many people will have stated they were a Catholic/Protestant on the census for because thats what they were born into...yet a large proportion of them are neither practicing, nor align their "religion" with their politics.

My "religion" does not reflect political persuasion.
And that’s a good thing.
More interesting in the census, I think 19% identified as Northern Irish only.

Last edited:
The census blew that idea out the water. Only 19% consider themselves northern Irish
How so?
I would find 19% quite significant.
The idea Aguero was putting forward was one of a provincial division of the country governance or perhaps I took him up wrong.

Perhaps the Irish Federation or some sort.
I’ll let him elaborate. Either way the idea of identifying yourself as first and foremost Northern Irish, and that idea spreading, cuts across religious norms I would suspect.

I could be totally misinterpreting the significance.

Reactions: mat

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.