Is Cook out of his league?

I wasn't sure about the initial 'bottling' statement, but the follow up explanation was fascinating. He basically made it clear that ADUG weren't here to throw money at city just to get success. They actually want to create something a little more sustainable.

Chelsea, of course, said they were doing the same thing but I was curious about the idea I read in one newspaper that we are essentially an advert for Abu Dhabi - so ADUG can put money into City that they might not get back directly, but they believe they'll be able to recover it indirectly. That would make Kaka's image rights and various contracts much more important - he wouldn't just be playing football for city but would be promoting the 'Abu Dhabi brand'.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jan/21/kaka-transfer-window" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009 ... fer-window</a>

Don't know whether you've seen this article from the Guardian. Gives a proper balanced view of what GC was up against during the Kaka negotiations. Apologies if you have already seen this or it's been posted on another thread

bluenova said:
I was curious about the idea I read in one newspaper that we are essentially an advert for Abu Dhabi - so ADUG can put money into City that they might not get back directly, but they believe they'll be able to recover it indirectly. That would make Kaka's image rights and various contracts much more important - he wouldn't just be playing football for city but would be promoting the 'Abu Dhabi brand'.

That begs the question - why did they sanction the signing of Craig Bellamy?

Cook created Michael Jordon as a world wide brand mate... I am sorry but Michael Jordan and the NBA are a bit bigger than Manchester City. :)

shaundickov said:
bluenova said:
I was curious about the idea I read in one newspaper that we are essentially an advert for Abu Dhabi - so ADUG can put money into City that they might not get back directly, but they believe they'll be able to recover it indirectly. That would make Kaka's image rights and various contracts much more important - he wouldn't just be playing football for city but would be promoting the 'Abu Dhabi brand'.

That begs the question - why did they sanction the signing of Craig Bellamy?

I do believe that golf is one of the many frowing cultures in the far east*...

May not be true

Had the same chat with another blue today. My thoughts:-

During the discussions, I believe one of the Sheiks personal advisers was part of the delegation that we sent to Milan ?

If Cook fucked it up, then I doubt he would still be employed by City today to give his reasons why the deal collapsed. The adviser (I forget his name) would have been in touch with the owner straight away, told him Cook was a numpty and out of his depth and Cook would be down the job centre.

Our owners do not muck about. We gave it our best, sent a knowledgeable and competent delegation to Milan (of which Cook was a part), unfortunatley it was not to be.

Had it not been Milan we were dealing with, but say Inter or Roma, then I believe Kaka would be ours.

Sadly things did not work out as we all hoped.

Judge Cook in the summer when we get a crack at more superstars and a couple of months to conclude a deal

I'm not sure about cooke,the deal for Kaka was for me too ambitious at this moment in time,by that i mean,he's playing champions league football,good chance of winning italian title,why come to us in january.to my mind discreet enquiries with a view of buying in the summer would have been more sensible.As for Bellamy why have we paid over the top for him,he walked out on west ham we could have got him for far less,instead we give other teams more money to improve their squads while we lack consistancy and are lagging behind. also the purchase of Bridges,good signing,but who's idea to parade on the pitch with Ball watching and thinking along the lines of "will you jump into my grave as quick" ! Very poor decision to allow that,strikes me as being either naive or showing off ie the first of many signings and its backfired a bit.I personnally would prefer a more laid back approach to signings with announcements after the player has signed rather than shout from the rooftops and end up with egg on our faces.

Max Woosnams Tash said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jan/21/kaka-transfer-window

Don't know whether you've seen this article from the Guardian. Gives a proper balanced view of what GC was up against during the Kaka negotiations. Apologies if you have already seen this or it's been posted on another thread

"They bottled it," he says of Milan. "We weren't naive. It was just that the world we entered into was unprofessional. We engaged a lot of professional people to take care of this deal. But it was all a bit too sophisticated for Milan."
Aye, what experience would AC Milan have in transfer negotiations, they're only a football club.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.