Is football corrupt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SamirBalotelli said:
Chippy_boy said:
I welcome other supporters coming on here and making good contributions, so I don't want to seem harsh. But in the last paragraph, he completely overlooks the fact that the other non-complaining teams aren't on 2 points when they should be on 4. I wonder how they would react if that was the case? Or are foreigners somehow better able to deal with disappointments than English people? I suspect not.
Yet you overlook the decision that went in our favour against Borussia Dortmund. You see, what goes around comes around. It's annoying but what can we do?
But that was a penalty - it was the same decision that Richards was penalised for & ultimately lead us to be being knocked out of the Europa against Hamburg a couple of seasons ago. City have also been on the wrong end of at least 2 calls of this nature last season - why the double standards? Is it because it fits with your argument?

Chippy_boy said:
Fair point about the Dortmund pen.

Regards your other points (a) we were 3rd you numpty. And (b), I don't agree. We all know about the weaknesses in our own set up and we debate them plenty. The question in this thread is about corruption in football and I think yes, it exists.

Point (a) was about the fact that it's the points systems which gives us 4 CL qualifying places. It's the success of the other teams in our league in Europe which directly effects how many teams qualify. That's not a system that I see as being rigged against English sides.

As for football being corrupt - and this a serious question I'm not being facetious - but why do you follow it? I love City but if I for one moment genuinely believed that last night's decisions were due to corruption then I'd fuck the game off.

You are always going to get decisions made or not made as the case may be at the time that video replay will show are incorrect or support or in fact are inconclusive.

What we can't argue about is that Ajax scored two goals from corners , the first of which came from a poor clearance and slack defending / poor positioning and the second from poor marking and poor defensive positioning.

You can handle a defender being out jumped or out smarted but there is no excuse for how Ajax scored both goals other than the fact we were switched off and lazy and when you are you get punished more often than not no matter the opposition.

Bottom line is we have played poorly in the Chumps League this season and we will not progress nor do we deserve to.

The reasons are many and have been highlighted extensively.

Whether RM is the manager to take us forward in the competition in future years is largely dependant on whether the owners have faith in him to achieve that and whether they have success in the competition on the radar as a must have.

His main priority this year is to challenge for the title once again and ensure we qualify for the Chumps League next year.

If he fails then the owners will respond accordingly.

BillyShears said:
CBlue said:
BillyShears said:
I'm sure Dortmund feel they should have two points more than they actually have due to a dubious penalty. Plus his wider point remains spot on. You can't on the one hand complain about a rigged co efficient system or poor officiating when we've a) benefited from poor officiating in our group and b) it's due to the co efficient system that we got into last season's CL ...

Overall I don't believe football is corrupt, and I think it's a shame that the overriding discourse is about this rather than about the weaknesses in our own set up.
Have you ever considered the possibility that the weaknesses in our own set up is down to corruption?

No.

We were beaten by Lisbon over two legs last season, by Napoli in the group stages, by Kiev the year before. None of those matches to my mind had any contentious decisions in them. Granted the officiating against Munich was very poor in the first game. Overall though we just haven't been good enough.

For me the major problem in Europe has been a lack of tempo. We keep the ball well enough but our approach play is so slow and so laboured that we become horribly predictable for well organised well drilled sides like Napoli and Ajax. Then we panic whenever the opposition wins possession and ups the tempo again.

No doubt it's a very difficult group that we have this season. However that for me doesn't mitigate the performance in Amsterdam and the first half last night. You can't just play for 45 minutes out of 180 and expect to progress against good teams.
You don't need contentious decisions for football to be corrupt. Players can also be corrupt - it only takes, say, a player to purposely lose their marker on a corner a couple of times & their job is done.

CBlue said:
BillyShears said:
CBlue said:
Have you ever considered the possibility that the weaknesses in our own set up is down to corruption?

No.

We were beaten by Lisbon over two legs last season, by Napoli in the group stages, by Kiev the year before. None of those matches to my mind had any contentious decisions in them. Granted the officiating against Munich was very poor in the first game. Overall though we just haven't been good enough.

For me the major problem in Europe has been a lack of tempo. We keep the ball well enough but our approach play is so slow and so laboured that we become horribly predictable for well organised well drilled sides like Napoli and Ajax. Then we panic whenever the opposition wins possession and ups the tempo again.

No doubt it's a very difficult group that we have this season. However that for me doesn't mitigate the performance in Amsterdam and the first half last night. You can't just play for 45 minutes out of 180 and expect to progress against good teams.
You don't need contentious decisions for football to be corrupt. Players can also be corrupt - it only takes, say, a player to purposely lose their marker on a corner a couple of times & their job is done.

Are you actually suggesting that there are corrupt City players costing us games ????????

That's what your above two posts leads me to believe, in which case I'm truly stunned as that's a fucking shocking accusation to make.

BillyShears said:
CBlue said:
BillyShears said:
No.

Are you actually suggesting that there are corrupt City players costing us games ????????

That's what your above two posts leads me to believe, in which case I'm truly stunned as that's a fucking shocking accusation to make.
Welcome to the world of corruption in football. Are you naive enough to think that this can't happen?

CBlue said:
BillyShears said:
CBlue said:

Welcome to the world of corruption in football. Are you naive enough to think that this can't happen?

Wow.

This corruption saga has certainly gone up a notch now.

CBlue said:
SWP's back said:
Chippy_boy said:
You seem to be bogged down in detail, whilst not seeing the bigger picture.

Are there lots of duff decisions? Yes.

Does technology exist that if implemented sensibly could help improve the quality of the decisions? Yes.

Should we consider what technologies could be used and how to implement them? Yes.

Your line of "it would be difficult so let's not even think about it" is really not tenable.
Agreed. He's trying to make it far more difficult than it should or would be though.
Simplify it for me then. Away you go - what are you waiting for? Others, more qualified than the pair of us, have given this some thought & have yet to come to a solution. I'm sure they would be delighted to hear that a poster on an internet forum has found the holy grail - especially as it so simple.

technology is a waste of time

what we need are more eagle eyed officials

there were only 5 on the pitch last night

maybe if they have ten (two on each side and two at each end plus a ref in each half) then they might make slightly less fuck ups

on the other hand probably not

CBlue said:

You better leave me to my own naivety and ask yourself why you follow a sport which you believe to be so rigged that you even suspect your own team of throwing matches.

BillyShears said:
CBlue said:
BillyShears said:
No.

Well I never did like that Joe Hart (if that is his real name), what with his white hair and black eyebrow......That does'nt sit well with me, somethings not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.