Is Gaël Clichy that good?

Mr. Aguia said:
Shaw is going to Chelsea if he goes anywhere. He's a Chelsea fan and wants to play for them so we should forget about him.

IMO Clichy in the title season was helped by our tactics and Vinnie, Lescott and Hart having the season's of their lives. He was exposed last season without having Lescott at his best and Vinnie as well covering up mistakes by the whole team not just him. To me he's been overrated. He hasn't even been able to win the starting LB for France. United are desperate to get rid of Evra. Have felt he's not been good enough the last 2 years yet he's still the first choice LB over Clichy for France. That should tell us something.

Clichy has really frustrated me this year. He's lost his starting role and it doesn't seem to matter to him. You'd think that when he gets these opportunities he'd be looking to impress and win his job back. I haven't seen that.

Totally agree about the title season.
Now under Pellegrini, and his insistence that the full backs get forward at every oportunity, he just doesn't look the part.
Kolarov always has been a better player. Brings far more to the table.
And this season is showing his true colours.
You're not on the wish lists of some of Europes biggest clubs ( Juve, Madrid, etc) if you can't play.
Nobody to the best of my knowledge has shown any interest in Clichy.

He owes most of his reputation to being a big stick to beat Kolarov with for about two years. Offers little going forward and always comes unstuck against someone else with pace when the 'dive in > run round the back routine' won't work.

gazmedina said:
He owes most of his reputation to being a big stick to beat Kolarov with for about two years. Offers little going forward and always comes unstuck against someone else with pace ........

And James f...kin Perch for god's sake!

Clichy has completely gone off the boil this season, he's been pretty awful for most of the year, and yesterday was just a liability, how he allowed Perch to score their winner is beyond me, I'd have been embarrassed to allow that one in when I used to play left back on a Sunday morning.

I've no idea what his issue is, or where his form has gone, but it has, and at times completely. He's quickly playing himself into a move out of City, and at this rate I wouldn't be disappointed. He's been woeful this year, it's a damning indictment that we're crying out for Kolarov to start games, as I'm sure many remember quite how much of a scapegoat he was last season for some of our poor displays.

Lavinda Past said:
Clichy is shite.

Not quite MDM shite, but still shite.

Gone in the summer.... Twelve months too late.

You don't need big paragraphs about him.

This sums it up nicely.

Whoever gave him a new contract needs their head testing.

Clichy is a quality player. Dreadful yesterday but his piss poor excuse of a clearance for their second just summed up our joke of a performance

The Fat el Hombre said:
Clichy is a quality player. Dreadful yesterday but his piss poor excuse of a clearance for their second just summed up our joke of a performance

Clichy was a quality player. Then he won something. Now he is shite.

Google Image 'resting on his laurels'... There's a picture of Clichy reclining with a big cigar, sipping champagne, surrounded by piles of cash.

It was taken at half-time yesterday.

Lavinda Past said:
The Fat el Hombre said:

Clichy was a quality player. Then he won something. Now he is shite.

Google Image 'resting on his laurels'... There's a picture of Clichy reclining with a big cigar, sipping champagne, surrounded by piles of cash.

It was taken at half-time yesterday.

Indeed.......

He is shite

He really isn't shite, he's just not great. He's a solid LB, a good one, but not good enough at anything in particular. Kolarov is a bit weak defensively, but great going forwards, but Clichy isn't particularly exceptional at anything.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.