Is it time for a mini-rebuild?

Its always hard to second guess Pep, but I think the news that he is likely to leave in a years time means that its unlikely there is a major overhaul this year. Most of his players take 6 months minimum to bed in and learn his tactics.

I'd like to see Walker moved on and Bernardo and KDB are starting to look past their best, but its too early to say goodbye to them.
We need to find a proper reliable Rodri alternative, or partner for midfield for games that he is unavailable. He can't keep playing 60 games a season.

Expect Gvardiol and Doku to have big seasons next year.

Grealish being left out of the Euros might not be a bad thing, could be a kick up the backside that he needs.

This happens at the end of every season. Remember in 2021 when Jesus, Laporte and Bernardo were all going to leave at once? Jesus stayed another season, Laporte stayed two years, and Bernardo's still here.

In 2024 it's Ederson, Bernardo, and De Bruyne. Bernardo is likely to go this year but Ederson and De Bruyne will stay. Saudi links are always nothing. Just an easy, reliable way to drum up interest ahead of silly season.

Every season is time for a mini rebuild - this season requires a bigger one. Asside from Doku last seasons intake weren't that great.
Central midfield requires a lot of work.
Although Kovacic is good he isn't a worldie.
Nunes has been a failure. Bernardo still wants to move on - though he has been extremely professional about it and the reality is KDB games are now limited due to his age and hamstring problems.
I worry about Stones injuries as well and we need an injection of pace at the back. Walker won't last forever.
Incidently, this is the last season we can spend big before PSR restricts the spending of everyone at the very top.

Last edited:
Every season is time for a mini rebuild - this season requires a bigger one.
Central midfield requires a lot of work.
Nunes has been a failure. Bernardo still wants to move on - though he has been extremely professional about it and the reality is KDB games are now limited.
I worry about Stones injuries as well and we need an injection of pace at the back. Walker won't last forever.
Akanji isn't exactly slow. There's a reason he was brought on in the final. But yeah, how fast is Branthwaite? The fella at Spurs is lightning, but trying to deal with Levy would be a nightmare.

Someone to fill Gundogan's shoes when it comes to creative passing, contributions in the final third and goals, and a goal-scoring left-footed winger to replace Mahrez, and a proper backup for Rodri, and someone who has the pace of Walker on the right side of defence.

As for what the rebuild might look like

Gomez will leave, Nunes will leave, Bernardo will leave.

That leaves:
Ederson
[new RB], Dias, Akanji, Gvardiol
Rodri
[new CM], Foden
Savio, Haaland, Doku

Ortega
Walker, Stones, Ake, [new LB?]
Kovacic, Lewis
De Bruyne, [new CM]
Bobb, Alvarez, Grealish

Its always hard to second guess Pep, but I think the news that he is likely to leave in a years time means that its unlikely there is a major overhaul this year. Most of his players take 6 months minimum to bed in and learn his tactics.

I'd like to see Walker moved on and Bernardo and KDB are starting to look past their best, but its too early to say goodbye to them.
We need to find a proper reliable Rodri alternative, or partner for midfield for games that he is unavailable. He can't keep playing 60 games a season.

Expect Gvardiol and Doku to have big seasons next year.

Grealish being left out of the Euros might not be a bad thing, could be a kick up the backside that he needs.
I've been waiting, and I'm still waiting, for Jack to get hold of a game and run it. Just how many times did he play on the wing for Villa. If Kev, aaaaah Kevin, leaves, he could get one of the 'middle berths' and see if that works any better than sticking him out on the wing.

This is our squad as it stands

GK
Ederson ?
Ortega
Carson

RIGHT BACK
Walker
(Lewis)
(Akanji)
(Stones)

LEFT BACK
Gvardiol
(Ake)
(Akanji)

CENTRE BACK
Stones
Dias
Ake
Akanji
(Gvardiol)

DEFENSIVE MIDFIELD
Rodri
Kovacic
Nunes ?
(Lewis)

ATTACKING MIDFIELD
KDB
Foden
Bernado ?
Lewis
(Nunes)
(Bobb)
(Alvarez)

LEFT WING
Grealish
Doku
(Foden)
(Bobb)

RIGHT WING
Bobb
(Doku)
(Foden)
(Bernardo)

STRIKER
Haaland
Alvarez

Without the question marks I would say we need a right back and a right winger

If all the question marks leave, we would need at least one new midfielder and a new goalkeeper

The targets in the public domain are Savio & Bruno Guimaraes , which seem to indicate Bernardo is going

I can see a max of three or four incomings , which isn’t a mini rebuild

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.