Is it time for a mini-rebuild?

This season i felt we over bolstered on the squad. Nunez and Gomez although played great at times when we needed them, were unnecessary for both parties. They both didn't get enough game time for player development and it may have taken away from some team players.... I may be wrong, our squad could have been exhausted after consecutive successes and a perfect and long season. I did expect a fall back in trophies.

As the years go i hate to see the back of so many players. Only one or two i d consider.... Would rather we use our youth set up and bring a few up though our ranks in the coming years.

I'm not sure that's true. The two seasons before he joined City, Phillips played 29 and 20 league games. So even in his best season, he missed 9 PL games and the season before we bought him, he missed 18. He reminds me of the Jack Rodwell signing back in the day. Who could have thought he'd turn out to be so injury prone? Anyone who looked at his record. Occasionally, you get lucky with one, Gundogan being the obvious example. But that's why we got him for a massively cut price deal. Even back then, 20-odd million for Gundo was a bargain. Phillips wasn't a bargain. When we were first linked, it was mooted at 30 million. It ended up being 45, and I always thought that was too much. For England, Phillips played well, but more as an energetic player, rather than a polished, classy type.
I think the trouble with Phillips was that he was caught on the wrong side of the ball too often.

Haaland missed 20 games of the same 21/22 season for Dortmund thanks to a range of different injuries and niggles. Since coming to City he's missed 19 games in total across two years. So in two years at City he's been unfit/injured less often than he was in just that one last season at Dortmund. You can see why City thought they might be able to help Phillips out in that regard. If Phillips had only missed 15 games of the last two seasons would that have been such a problem? Instead he was out for five months recovering from surgery, got injured again after he came back, and has returned to us injured from West Ham.
I think there's always going to be a balance where you're willing to deal with a certain amount of injury proneness if a player is good enough though. We've had our fair share with Aguero, Kompany and more recently, De Bruyne, who all regularly missed a third of a season. I think it's different when you're bringing in a player where with the best will in the world, they're only ever going to be a squad player. For those sorts of players, you ideally want someone who's versatile and reliable. If they're never fit, they can never get a run of games, can't get used to the system, and so you can never rely on them in important moments. And that's why you end up having to play John Stones or Rico Lewis in midfield in important games rather than the player you brought in specifically to do that job. Haaland was a risk in terms of his injury proneness before joining, but ultimately, you're always going to take that risk for a player who guarantees a goal a game.

This. No more Nunes/Phillips/Gomez level signings, just get the very best available or stick with the squad as it is.

Personally I feel we need to sign a quick right sided attacker and another top class midfielder.
Doku plays on the right for his country.

I don’t think we need a complete refresh. We’ve just won the league and we were within a few games of winning another treble. We need a few quality signings to refresh the squad a bit.

I think the trouble with Phillips was that he was caught on the wrong side of the ball too often.
I don't think he had the intelligence to understand what was needed of him in Peps system. He played too many blind passes and lost the ball in dangerous areas.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.