Is left back really a problem?

Any player in Pep's side will need to be gifted on the ball - but yes, Fernandinho has been a destroyer while also meeting Pep's demand for a skilled passer. As I've said - we will likely extend Fernandinho as a squad player - not a first choice DM destroyer.

Mendy is a drain on the squad as a whole - he's a liability whenever he plays. That we won't upgrade at LB simply because we can't move Mendy isn't realistic - we might be able to move Zinchenko or Cancello. Or in the worst case, we simply sign a class LB and await developments - players of the caliber of Zinchenko and Cancello will want to move on - Mendy might not, so we're stuck with him if so. But an upgrade at LB is certainly possible and IMO would benefit our side.
We can’t sign without selling though, the squad is full or will be when we sign a striker. Zinchenko won’t be leaving.

I would definitely try for Spinnazola from Roma. He's been the best left back in the Euros.

We can loan Mendy to them.

The problem is that we seem to think there are more pressing positions that need filling but I think this is important and needs sorting and we should be able to get someone in for a decent price and not the £50 mill we normally do .

It's been the better part of two seasons since he was injured and anyone can see plain as day that Mendy is not going to be returning to his pre-injury self. Not now. Not ever.

I can't see us getting rid of Mendy. Like Stones and Gundo time was given to them post injury.

If you add in Zin, all 3 came close to being sold before a dramatic improvement and levelling up.

Mendy, surely, has that same pathway.
I'm 99% convinced the only reason he's still here is that Pep genuinely thinks he can get back to his better levels. I seriously doubt with his wages that his cheerleading would alone be enough to sway anyone to keep him. I understand the optimism because the Mendy we signed would be the top fullback in the world today if he was still at it in my opinion.

But then again he's seemingly not really made any progress in two years since he returned from his last major injury, and I have no idea why. He always seems to come back, play smart safe football until he's confident, then plays good football, then makes a mess out of dealing with a winger and that's the last we'll see of him in any capacity for six weeks.

It's been the better part of two seasons since he was injured and anyone can see plain as day that Mendy is not going to be returning to his pre-injury self. Not now. Not ever.
What was his pre-injury self? was he ever that good? Unfortunately we will never know!

I'm 99% convinced the only reason he's still here is that Pep genuinely thinks he can get back to his better levels. I seriously doubt with his wages that his cheerleading would alone be enough to sway anyone to keep him. I understand the optimism because the Mendy we signed would be the top fullback in the world today if he was still at it in my opinion.

But then again he's seemingly not really made any progress in two years since he returned from his last major injury, and I have no idea why. He always seems to come back, play smart safe football until he's confident, then plays good football, then makes a mess out of dealing with a winger and that's the last we'll see of him in any capacity for six weeks.

I thought Mendy had played quite well in his last few games. Reminded me of Kolarov in his crossing, except we don't have an Edin to feed off them.

I hope he recovers fully from his injuries and kicks on this season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.