Is left back really a problem?

I was ready to give Mendy a chance after his injury woes but after last night not any more.....he gives us nothing positive going forward and even less defending.....better off playing with ten men! BTW nobody covered themselves in glory, even KDB was giving the ball away which he never does.

I actually think the problem is in midfield and with the defenders having such a high line there is no cover on the counter. We are not learning our lessons from last season.

If we trust Pep's judgment implicitly then we have to believe that he doesn't see the problems being in defence. Whenever I see him in interviews he always blames two things:

1. Giving the ball away
2. Not creating enough chances or failing to put them away

If you go back to his philosophy on football, the entire team is responsible for attacking and defending not just the defenders so the problem is the team.

Last edited:
I was ready to give Mendy a chance after his injury woes but after last night not any more.....he gives us nothing positive going forward and even less defending.....better off playing with ten men! BTW nobody covered themselves in glory, even KDB was giving the ball away which he never does.

Seems like a large character off the field, but since his injury has constantly gone missing on the field.

Lost count the number of times he makes a mountain of a mole hill in pushing forward, only to receive the ball & then pass it back & of course then leaving his position exposed for a counter.

When available, Cancelo seems to be the only solid player I've seen at left back, not amazing but offers more balance & meaningful positivity going forward. However, Pep seems to prefer him at rightback where Walker is now first choice.

It’s not just the lack of defending but he’s not offering an option going forward at the moment. Usually just receives the ball and passes it straight back where it came from

Absolutely it's a problem and has been for a long while. Mendy is absolutely awful defensively - he has no awareness of the attackers around him and their movement -is weak at tackling and heading and his previous strengths of attacking is now none existent. The guy is incapable of tracking back once the attack has got goal side of him -

Id rather play someone from the EDS there than him

Problem is he is stuck on a contract and no one is going to buy him due to his wages and injury record......we would ahve to practically give him away

He could never defend but his main attributes were his crossing and pace. That seems to have gone.
The other issue he has is that he’s fairly robotic on the ball. I find him similar to Walker in that respect in that they both slow down the speed of our passing. Walker has got better given he’s not been injured for the best chunk of three seasons but Mendy hasn’t had that time on the field.

I think Mendy could do a job as backup in 10-15 games a season, including cups. But not against teams that in the top 8-10 in the league.

Yesterday once again highlighted that Mendy just isn't good enough. Apart from the ball he put in that Delap skimmed of the bar what did he offer.
That was the first time this season ( 2.5 games) that Mendy has reached a City player with a cross. During that time he has not got past his opposing player on a single occasion. Delph and Zinchencko were limited but much better than Mendy has been since his injury.

Absolutely it's a problem and has been for a long while. Mendy is absolutely awful defensively - he has no awareness of the attackers around him and their movement -is weak at tackling and heading and his previous strengths of attacking is now none existent. The guy is incapable of tracking back once the attack has got goal side of him -

Id rather play someone from the EDS there than him

Problem is he is stuck on a contract and no one is going to buy him due to his wages and injury record......we would ahve to practically give him away

I can see him sticking around this season as nobody will buy him, then loan him out next season, then he leaves on a free, Summer 22 when his contacts up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.