Is Manchester a tough place to live in?

Fair fucks to Sergio, he nailed it when he said “You are here to train and to play, not to sunbathe”
These largely uneducated lads will retire as multi millionaires in their early to mid 30s. As in life in general, the smarter ones will be those willing to defer their gratification as opposed to those who want the Moon on a stick

Bernardo is from a middleclass background and went to an international school. Don't think he has the same need or hunger to make mega bucks to support family and friends back home like some of the South American players.

Since I left Manchester Ive become older, obviously, but harder. If anyone wants to come and have a pop, feel free. But please PM first in order to see if it clashes with any outpatients appointments I may have, or if Im busy actually carrying out the type of gainful employment that would solve most of our societal problems, and whether Im busy playing boules

Since I left Manchester Ive become older, obviously, but harder. If anyone wants to come and have a pop, feel free. But please PM first in order to see if it clashes with any outpatients appointments I may have, or if Im busy actually carrying out the type of gainful employment that would solve most of our societal problems, and whether Im busy playing boules
I’ll have my nurse make an appointment

Manchester is a great City, weather excepted, if you can afford to live in the leafy safer suburbs. Without covid you have plenty of shops, sports to watch live and concert/theatre venues on your doorstep, as well as good infrastructure to travel further afield.

As you get older I think your priorities change. Peace and quiet are now top of my list. Covid was a wake up call as with everything shut and travel restricted those living on the coast or the countryside were the winners. Of course better locations comes at a higher cost many can't afford

I suspect there are worse places. Some suburbs are very nice.

Having said that I would leave GM tomorrow if the Mrs was up to it. Go to some small town like Wells in Somerset. But being an old get, I now like peace and quiet.

It's also worth mentioning that most places have their problems. There are druggies and 'problem families' practically anywhere. It's just that - in parts of GM - their number is legion.

This country has massive social problems - and there as much chance of anyone doing owt effective about it as there is of me being picked as an Olympic sprinter.

Manchester is a great City, weather excepted, if you can afford to live in the leafy safer suburbs. Without covid you have plenty of shops, sports to watch live and concert/theatre venues on your doorstep, as well as good infrastructure to travel further afield.

As you get older I think your priorities change. Peace and quiet are now top of my list. Covid was a wake up call as with everything shut and travel restricted those living on the coast or the countryside were the winners. Of course better locations comes at a higher cost many can't afford
Well said fella. One of the country’s great cities. I’ve lived all over the UK and was absolutely fucking delighted to eventually come home, there is nowhere that ticks the boxes of affordability, lifestyle and leisure options, a world class airport and easy access to the countryside etc.
Always makes me chuckle when I talk to people on a long flight and hear they have a three-hour drive the other side back to Hull or Carlisle l, when I can be in the door and unpacked within 15 minutes. I can be in town on the tram in the same time and view great art, watch an independent film, have a top meal and visit some great boozers. The latter two options are within a five minute walk of my front door.
City is a 20-30 minute tram ride.
It seems fashionable lately to slag this city but I have lived all over and believe me, the alternatives aren’t that great.
Go live in the country by all means but then don’t moan when you get snowed in in January or can’t get a pint after 10pm

Last edited:
Bernardo is from a middleclass background and went to an international school. Don't think he has the same need or hunger to make mega bucks to support family and friends back home like some of the South American players.
One of my best mates is a neighbour of Bernie. He continues even tonight to insist that this Duncan Castles-fuelled media feeding frenzy is grossly exaggerated.
All he needs is a break away in Portugal, away from his apartment and the chamce to meet some family and friends.
There are apparently four guys in our squad who are absolute True Believers when it comes to Pep. Disciples. Acolytes.
They are Gundo, Bernie, Ederson and Ruben. As long as Pep is here, these guys won’t even consider playing elsewhere, unless the boss tells them to.

It’s a great city but you have to weigh up how much of that feeling is due to the fact you’re from here. If I came from Madrid/Lisbon/Buenos Aries, I get that it would be tough to live here for 5 years. I imagine it would be much much much easier for me to live 5 years in Barcelona than a lad from Rio to live here!

It’s a great city but you have to weigh up how much of that feeling is due to the fact you’re from here. If I came from Madrid/Lisbon/Buenos Aries, I get that it would be tough to live here for 5 years. I imagine it would be much much much easier for me to live 5 years in Barcelona than a lad from Rio to live here!

If Madrid/Lisbon/Buenos Aries had damp weather for 9 months of the year you would be saying the opposite.

The weather plays a huge part in what a place is like, it’s easy to get confused when analysing a city.

No a
If Madrid/Lisbon/Buenos Aries had damp weather for 9 months of the year you would be saying the opposite.

The weather plays a huge part in what a place is like, it’s easy to get confused when analysing a city.
No absolutely, the point I was (probably badly) making!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.