Is Manchester a tough place to live in?

always felt safe to me and I have spent more time in the City centre than most over last 30 years.

Depends which part you frequent, had 2 bottles put over my head after we beat Portsmouth 6-1 in Piccadilly gardens for no reason except that I was white. Doorman from Yates came over and said it had been happening alot. Was only half 7 fs.

Some people have this inbuilt thing where they feel it's their duty to defend their place of birth at all costs.
It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. It's what makes you happy that's important and if living in Manchester does that then good on you. If Manchester isn't your bag then move away.
Every city on the planet has its faults as well as its positives. Its not a competition.
Personally I'm happy with my decision to leave as a 17 year old and see a bit of the world but I'm always happy to go back for short visits.
I've no intention of ever living in the UK again but that doesn't make me any wiser than those who will never leave.
Just crack the fuck on and enjoy your lives for what they are, not everything has to be a pissing contest.

Pretty much it. I grew up in Hulme as a kid then we got shipped off to Benchill Wythenshawe when they pulled the pre war houses down. Everybody said how rough Wythenshawe was but to us with all the fields and gardens it was a great place. I went away to sea at 17 and when I saw other places I realised perhaps Wythenshawe and Manchester was a bit rough. I lived in Hollyhead Anglesey twice for short periods and Dover in Kent for five years.

I found that your attitude shaped how you got on at places you visited and lived. A bit of self depreciating humour, quick wit and being a decent person and you were fine, except for the odd arsehole of course. When you're young you don't worry too much about trouble or safety. You went out for a laugh, usually with a fair few mates so if it kicked off you just got stuck in. I went anywhere and drank in some rough holes, Genevieve's in Longsight , pubs in Wythenshawe and the dock road in Salford. A few after time places in Manchester and Liverpool, Charlie's mini club, the Penny Farthing, Banjo's in Cheetham Hill, the Yankee Clipper and the Curzon club in Liverpool.

I still live here but feel no major love or affinity to the City, it's just somewhere to live. City are here and my memories but most places I frequented in my youth have long gone. After being at sea I think your love and loyalty to your hometown are stronger when you're away from it. After a few days back at home you realise it's still the same old same old.

I'd happily live in a nice little detached cottage by the sea or in the countryside, or even Spain, well pre Brexit and covid. They all cost though so we're where we can afford I guess. You can always visit or find a rough boozer somewhere if you want to reminisce about the old days, but it's nice to go back to peace and quiet again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.