Is Manchester a tough place to live in?

Yes it's unrecognisable from a few years ago sadly.
The city centre accommodation is only for the wealthy and we have a massive housing crisis.
Also don't feel safe on nights out in Manchester anymore, full of idiots.
I fell out of love with Manchester a long time ago, just want to live in the lake district when I can afford it.
Plenty of nutters up there mate, lived there for 30 years, still love it mind.

Sat having a glass of red in the beautiful Derwent valley in Derbyshire. A local farmer is bailing in the field behind our house. A blackbird is finishing its last chorus. The sky is turning crimson. Quintessential English countryside.

But I would kill for a couple of pints of Holts, and a bit of early doors humour in some back street Manc boozer.
"To the regiment -
I wish I was there"!!!

Manchester has changed enormously since I was born and like all change, some of it has been good and others not do good.

In the 1980s I think it's fair to say that Manchester wasn't an "international city". It was dirty, run down, poor and at nights it could be incredibly dangerous. Anyone who thinks town is dangerous now, you don't know you're born. In the early 90s, having long hair whilst walking back from 5th Ave, 42s or the Venue could get you some unwanted attention.

However, in the 1980s I would say that you knew every "tramp" (homeless person) in Manchester. I vaguely remember a story in the MEN in the 90s about the death of a tramp as everyone knew him. Homelessness back then pretty much didn't exist. The tower in Piccadilly Gardens and the Co-op were the only building visible in the centre for years.

I honestly think the Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Hacienda, James, Inspiral Carpets and - sorry - the United becoming champions and the way they played football started the change. Kids from all around the UK wanted to come to the new cultural centre of the UK and they came to the Universities.

After a few years, if you throw in Oasis, the growth and acceptance of the Gay Village into mainstream Manchester culture, cafe culture, the Commonwealth Games, City doing the absolute opposite of United and then the bomb which basically gave us a blank canvas to work from. I think, on the whole, Manchester has taken these cultural gifts and used them really well.

It might not be a popular opinion, but the fact United did so well in the 90s, City did so badly in the 90s combined with the gift of the Commonwealth Games stadium means that the "back story" of City must've helped the Sheikh buy the club and go on to win the league. If it was a film, no one would believe it!

I know that housing is an issue, but let's be honest it's not a Manchester problem it's a UK-wide problem. Homelessness, begging and spice are big problems but again they aren't restricted to Manchester. It's quite common now to see homeless people and beggars outside supermarkets in any town.

Manchester will never be perfect. Because it's got such a good "brand", companies outside London go to Manchester. It's attracting some serious money and the arrival of skyscrapers tells you that.

Is it rough? It's a big city. A lot of people live here and a lot of people do well and not so well. I genuinely think in Manchester, you can find WHATEVER you want. If you want to find gangs selling drugs, you'll find them. If you want to find fine dining and a place to park your Lamborghini, you'll find it. There's world famous bands playing stadiums next to pubs with the next Oasis banging chords out. If you want to watch the best football team in the world and the worst, you'll find that too.

Ancoats sums up Manchester for me... it has £350k homes for new professionals who've got great jobs in finance who want to live near other people who are like them. They can't afford Chorlton, but within a dogs pissing distance you have "old" Ancoats where probably £160k gets you an old 3 bed council house.

It won't ever be perfect, but find me a place that is and I'll move there. In the meantime, I'll stay here waiting :)

Manchester has changed enormously since I was born and like all change, some of it has been good and others not do good.

In the 1980s I think it's fair to say that Manchester wasn't an "international city". It was dirty, run down, poor and at nights it could be incredibly dangerous. Anyone who thinks town is dangerous now, you don't know you're born. In the early 90s, having long hair whilst walking back from 5th Ave, 42s or the Venue could get you some unwanted attention.

However, in the 1980s I would say that you knew every "tramp" (homeless person) in Manchester. I vaguely remember a story in the MEN in the 90s about the death of a tramp as everyone knew him. Homelessness back then pretty much didn't exist. The tower in Piccadilly Gardens and the Co-op were the only building visible in the centre for years.

I honestly think the Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Hacienda, James, Inspiral Carpets and - sorry - the United becoming champions and the way they played football started the change. Kids from all around the UK wanted to come to the new cultural centre of the UK and they came to the Universities.

After a few years, if you throw in Oasis, the growth and acceptance of the Gay Village into mainstream Manchester culture, cafe culture, the Commonwealth Games, City doing the absolute opposite of United and then the bomb which basically gave us a blank canvas to work from. I think, on the whole, Manchester has taken these cultural gifts and used them really well.

It might not be a popular opinion, but the fact United did so well in the 90s, City did so badly in the 90s combined with the gift of the Commonwealth Games stadium means that the "back story" of City must've helped the Sheikh buy the club and go on to win the league. If it was a film, no one would believe it!

I know that housing is an issue, but let's be honest it's not a Manchester problem it's a UK-wide problem. Homelessness, begging and spice are big problems but again they aren't restricted to Manchester. It's quite common now to see homeless people and beggars outside supermarkets in any town.

Manchester will never be perfect. Because it's got such a good "brand", companies outside London go to Manchester. It's attracting some serious money and the arrival of skyscrapers tells you that.

Is it rough? It's a big city. A lot of people live here and a lot of people do well and not so well. I genuinely think in Manchester, you can find WHATEVER you want. If you want to find gangs selling drugs, you'll find them. If you want to find fine dining and a place to park your Lamborghini, you'll find it. There's world famous bands playing stadiums next to pubs with the next Oasis banging chords out. If you want to watch the best football team in the world and the worst, you'll find that too.

Ancoats sums up Manchester for me... it has £350k homes for new professionals who've got great jobs in finance who want to live near other people who are like them. They can't afford Chorlton, but within a dogs pissing distance you have "old" Ancoats where probably £160k gets you an old 3 bed council house.

It won't ever be perfect, but find me a place that is and I'll move there. In the meantime, I'll stay here waiting :)

Top this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.